[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] Interesting article -- especially for Social Process collection -- common religion triangle and Inner life/other world and all

Randy Williams randycw1938 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 05:47:23 PST 2018

Every person and culture has a story of reality that informs our active living in the world, whether or not it’s been “canonized” and/or “institutionalized.” For me the Christian story is neutered when it becomes a story of how to save oneself from an evil world rather than why and how to serve a suffering world. Maybe that perversion has contributed greatly to the demise of what Douthat calls the “Protestant establishment.” I like the thought that I first encountered in Harvey Cox’s book The Future of Faith, that faith is less about what you believe or how you worship and more about how and on behalf of what you live your life. If this is what Douthat means by “a social gospel denuded of theological content” then I am guilty as charged.
Randy