[Dialogue] Fall Equinox~Native American Day Greetings

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 22 08:50:50 PDT 2017

Fall Equinox Greetings!

In the Presbyterian Church Program Calendar, the day of the Fall Equinox is also designated as Native American Day.  Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and other days and months also have such designations.  In once sense every day is a day to designate and remember the ancient wisdom that we have forgotten but that Indigenous Life Ways continue to teach us about living as part Earth and all Creation.

The racial inequities and white privilege still rearing its ugly head in St. Louis and throughout the American society; the continued mistreatment and disenfranchisement of Native Americans; and the ramifications of political and economic colonialism which continue to lead us into wars (check out Ken Burns PBS series on Vietnam War); and the degradation of the Earth are rooted in the 15th Doctrine of Discovery which remains to this day part of US organic law and foreign policy.

The words/prayers and music below were some of the liturgy we used at Second Presbyterian Church's (St. Louis) Celebration/Care of Creation service that wove together perspectives from science, Christian Faith and Indigenous Life Ways as they call humanity to live sustainably, compassionately, and justly as part of this emerging creation.  Attached are copies of the service and a reflection I shared:  "A Declaration of Interdependence."

Blessings as a new season is upon us...

Ellie :)
elliestock at aol.com

Every part of this earth is sacred,
every shining pine needle, every sandy shore,
            every mist in the dark woods,
every clearing and humming insect is holy.
the rocky crest, the juices of the meadow, the beasts
and all the people, all belong to the same family.
Teach your children that the earth is our mother.
Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth.
The water’s murmur is the voice of our father’s father.
We are part of the earth, and the earth is part of us.
The rivers are our brothers; they quench our thirst.
The perfumed flowers are our sisters.
The air is precious.
For all of us share the same breath.
The wind that gave our grandparents breath
also receives their last sigh.
The wind gave our children the spirit of life.
This we know, the earth does not belong to us;
we belong to the earth.
This we know, all things are connected,
like the blood which unites one family.
All things are connected.
Our God is the same God,
whose compassion is equal for all.
For we did not weave the web of life;
we are merely a strand in it.
Whatever we do to the web
we do to ourselves.
                                                                        ~ Chief Seattle

Now I Walk In Beauty (Navajo Prayer) arr. by ... - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGXI93Z6ieM
Now I Walk In Beauty ... Play now; Mix - Now I Walk In Beauty ... Jane Valencia - Celtic harp & song - "I Walk In Beauty" ...

Now I Walk In Beauty - Saint Anselm College
www.anselm.edu/Documents/Academics/Departments/Nursing Continuing...
Now I walk in Beau ty. ... - - - Beau-ty is be - hind me, a bove and be - - low me. Now I Walk in Beauty traditional. Title:

Prayer to TheFour Directions by Chief Seattle

Great Spiritof Light, come to me out of the East (red) with the power of the rising sun.Let there be light in my words, let there be light on my path that I walk. Letme remember always that you give the gift of a new day. And never let me beburdened with sorrow by not starting over again.

Great Spiritof Love, come to me with the power of the North (white). Make me courageouswhen the cold wind falls upon me. Give me strength and endurance for everythingthat is harsh, everything that hurts, everything that makes me squint. Let memove through life ready to take what comes from the north.

GreatLife-Giving Spirit, I face the West (black), the direction of sundown. Let meremember every day that the moment will come when my sun will go down. Neverlet me forget that I must fade into you. Give me a beautiful color, give me agreat sky for setting, so that when it is my time to meet you, I can come withglory.

Great Spiritof Creation, send me the warm and soothing winds from the South (yellow).Comfort me and caress me when I am tired and cold. Unfold me like the gentlebreezes that unfold the leaves on the trees. As you give to all the earth yourwarm, moving wind, give to me, so that I may grow close to you in warmth. Mandid not create the web of life, he is but a strand in it. Whatever man does tothe web, he does to himself.