[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] 10/12/17: Spong/Vosper: REFORMERS, ALL; Spong revisited

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 14:54:46 PDT 2017

TheChurch's responsibility to God for human societies doubtless varies with itsown and the nations' changing positions, but it may be described in a generalfashion by reference to the apostolic, the pastoral and the pioneeringfunctions of the Christian community.

 Apostolicresponsibility The Church is by nature andcommandment an apostolic community which exists for the sake of announcing theGospel to all nations and of making them disciples of Christ.

Theshepherd of the lost

The Church discharges itsresponsibility to God for society in carrying out its pastoral as well as itsapostolic functions. It responds to Christ-in-God by being a shepherd of thesheep, a seeker of the lost, the friend of publicans and sinners, of the poorand broken-hearted.

The Church as social pioneer

Finally, the social responsibility of the Church needs to be described as that of the pioneer. The Church is that part of the human community which responds first to God-in-Christ and Christ-in-God. It is the sensitive and responsive part in every society and mankind as a whole. It is that group which hears the Word of God, which sees His judgments, which has the vision of the resurrection. In its relations with God it is the pioneer part of society that responds to God on behalf of the whole society, some­what, we may say, as science is the pioneer in responding to pattern or rationality in experience and as artists are the pioneers in responding to beauty.

Jim Wiegel

“That which consumes me is not man, nor the earth, nor the heavens, but the flame which consumes man, earth, and sky."  Nikos Kazantzakis

401 North Beverly Way,Tolleson, Arizona 85353
623-363-3277

jfwiegel at yahoo.com

www.partnersinparticipation.com