[Dialogue] Happy Birthday Jim - 72

Paul Schrijnen via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jun 4 02:23:01 PDT 2017

Hi Jim, and other ageing friends,

Christine, Josh and I went to the Hokusai: Beyond the Great Wave exhibition yesterday in the British Museum. It was breathtaking to see some of his drawings. I thought of you reading this text, which hung besides one of the images - apparently written by the old man himself in 1834.

		Gakyo Rojin (Old Man Crazy toe Paint)

		From the age of six I had a penchant for copying the form of things, and from about fifty, my pictures were 		frequently published; but until the age of seventy nothing I drew was worthy of notice. At Seventy-three 			years, I was somewhat able to fathom the growth of plants and trees, and the structure of birds, animals,
		insects and fish.

		Thus when I reach eighty years I hope to have made increasing progress, and at ninety to see further into 		the underlying principles of things, so that at one hundred years I will have achieved a divine state in my 			art, and at one hundred and ten, every dot and every stroke will be as though alive. Those of you who live 		long enough, bear witness that these words of mine are not false.

From Hokusai’s postscript to One Hundred Views of Mt Fuji, 1834, translated by Henry D Smith II.
Hokusai lived from 1760 to 1849.

With best wishes to one and all,

Paul