[Dialogue] Raising Awareness and Support for Standing Rock Reservation to Protect Water Safety for Genrations

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Nov 2 11:29:02 PDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Caruso via Dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net>
To: Order Ecumenical ICA-USA <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net>
Sent: Wed, Nov 2, 2016 1:24 pm
Subject: [Dialogue] Raising Awareness and Support for Standing Rock Reservation to Protect Water Safety for Genrations

Dear family and friends:

Brief background

As most of you know, we and others in the Boulder area (and around the world ) are helping support the Water Protectors in Cannon Ball, N. Dakota. While this has not been mainline news there has been coverage on Democracy Now, MSNBC, PBS and all the social media ( Ck links below to catch up ) . Also check Dianne’s Facebook she posts daily.

This is turning into an epic showdown between the  water protector forces of environmental sanity: ( Water is Life ) and the forces of fossil fuel exploitation.  This is an indigenous movement with over 300 tribes from all over the world supporting the protection of water. The environmental and peace movement folks are also supporting from around the world.

Not only does the Missouri River support over 18 million people with safe water, but ancient and sacred burial sites are located here and are being bulldozed up to lay pipeline.

Current Update

As we speak today , Nov 1, there’s a showdown being pressed by the oil pipeline company to start digging under the Missouri River at the Standing Rock res lands. The militarized police in riot gear and  heavy armor vehicles are lining up to stop peaceful resistance by the water protectors.  Hundred's have been arrested during last week’s confrontation. Many women and elders were arrested.   There is targeting of journalists and lawyers ( lots of intimidation). While we were there this past weekend, a wild fire was started during the night by a pipeline worker. The fire came within range of the camp but the winds were favorable for the camps. We were in one of them.

Legal action to permanently stop the pipe line is waiting for Obama/DOJ action to do this until a thorough environmental impact study and cultural burial grounds evaluation can be made. ( My thinking is that he won’t do that until the election is over).

We would like your support and engagement in this process if you think it's justified after catching up on this potential catastrophe.

We are taking direct action by supporting three families who are living up there right now in teepee’s/tents. They will need a lot more as winter arrives pretty soon. These three native families are our friends.

 In total: there is one family of 5 ( 3 kids) ;and another family of two. Plus one elder. They will be up at Standing Rock Res for the winter to continue the resistance of the pipeline.

We are out to raise money to buy 2 winter wall tents and  4 wood camp stoves plus other winter supplies. Any help small or whatever will be helpful.           ( Send a check or to my Paypal account. Or Our new address is: 3545-28th St #307/Boulder, CO . 80301).

If your budget is too tight for financial  support there are other ways to support:

• Get informed thru these links:

demoncracynow.org   (Who is supporting the Dakota Access Pipeline)
TheJuiceMedia (Dakota Access Pipeline)
 http://www.treeswaterpeople.org/programs/tribal_renewable_energy/green_job_training/green_job_training.html

Facebook link.  Friend Dianne Greenwald ( the one with a picture of Dianne and Salvatore in Mexico)

• Share these links with your family and friends ( social media)
• Send your prayers and love not only to the Water Protectors but to those who have chosen to protect the pipeline.Water is life for ALL.

• Write or call President Obama to stop the pipeline until environmental/sacred sites can be studied( 202-456-1111).

• Go to Standing Rock

Dianne and I will be heading up to Standing Rock this next week with  winter supplies including 4 season tents, tent stoves and food  packed in the 1999 Ford Ranger.

Much love,
Salvatore and Dianne