[Dialogue] Standing Rock Trip Update, Day 5

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Nov 11 18:05:17 PST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellie Stock <elliestock at aol.com>
To: elliestock <elliestock at aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm
Subject: Standing Rock Trip Update, Day 5

Standing Rock Trip Update, November 11, Day 5 (Veterans Day):

Hi Folks,

Today is the last day of our Standing Rock Pilgrimage.  In the car all day, debriefing the trip but also the Presidential election results and how they intersect.

The TV news this morning indicated that the demonstrations continue near the pipeline.  In fact water protectors were inside the pipeline and oxygen had to be pumped in to protect them.  More "troops" are being sent from neighboring state Nebraska to support the North Dakota forces at Standing Rock.

November 15 is a national day of action:  Standing with Standing Rock.  See the info from Bill McKibben below.  Also below are two of the best information sources for Standing Rock if you are interested in daily updates--from the Native American Perspective.

As we approach Thanksgiving,some words (somewhat tongue in cheek) from Santee Sioux PC(USA) Clergy of 97 Winters, The Rev. Sidney Byrd with whom we visited in Flandreau, SD the first day of our trip (see Monday 11/7 update):

Our Native Peoples made some regrettable mistakes:

1.  We should have made some strict immigration laws and enforced them when the poor, homeless pilgrims arrived on our shores.
2.  We should conducted an environmental impact study before we extended our welcome.
3.  We should have left well enough alone that first terrible winter.  Instead we started our first welfare program.  We took care of them and taught them how to survive.
4.  We should have insisted they learn our languages instead of English only...

We continue to ponder this pilgrimage as this particular journey has ended but encourage all of us to stand with Standing Rock, however that might be possible.  We will be giving reports Monday 11/14 at the La Vista Ecological Center in Godrey, IL and Sunday 11/20 at Second Presbyterian Church, St Louis.

In the midst of this week's upheaval, anger, fear, and anxiety--we trust in the presence of Hope beyond hopes unbounded, Love unconditioned, Peace unsurpassed, and Joy and Thanksgiving unceasing~

Ellie
elliestock at aol.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BEST SOURCES FOR CONTINUED INFO AND UPDATES:

Native American Media source--check section on Standing Rock articles:

Indian Country Today Media Network - Official Site
indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com
Indian Country Today Media Network is your essential Native American news and information site offering superb online services in the areas of education, business and ...

Standing Rock/Sacred Stones Camp facebook tracking:

https://www.facebook.com/CampOfTheSacredStone/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONTACTING BANKS THAT ARE INVESTED IN DAPL:

http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/how-to-contact-the-17-banks-funding-the-dakota-access-pipeline-20160929

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>From Bill McKibben for 350.org:

Dear Friends
So, the question everyone’s asking me this week is: What now?
I don’t have a great answer—the Trump saga will play out over time, and we’ll be learning how to resist as we go along. But resist we will.
I do know that the election last Tuesday made this Tuesday’s demonstrations in support of Standing Rock even more important. We’ll be gathering in nearly two hundred cities to demand that the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Obama administration, do their jobs and reject the Dakota Access pipeline's final permit.
Will you join me on Nov 15th and take action to stop Dakota Access? Sign up for an action today—and if there isn't one on the map already, you can organize one where you live.
We don’t know if we can make President Obama act—so far he’s been noncommittal and vague. And we don’t know if Trump would simply overturn his actions if he took them. But we do know that now more than ever we have to stand by our allies, and make our battles loud and public.
The ugly side of the American psyche that’s propelled Trump to the presidency is nothing new to Indigenous people. It’s nothing new to people of color, to immigrants, to the vulnerable and the marginalized. This is a time for drawing together the many threads of our resistance—to fossil fuels, yes, but also and just as importantly to widespread hatred.
Solidarity with Indigenous leadership—in Standing Rock and beyond—is more important today, not less. The original inhabitants of this continent have been pepper-sprayed and shot with rubber bullets, maced and attacked by guard dogs, all for peacefully standing up for their sovereign rights, and for the world around us. If we can’t rally in support of them—well, that would be shameful.
Join me and thousands of others on the streets to show solidarity with Standing Rock on Nov 15th.
I wish I had some magic words to make the gobsmacked feeling go away. But I can tell you from experience that taking action, joining with others to protest, heals some of the sting.
And throughout history, movements like ours have been the ones to create lasting change—not a single individual or president. That's the work we'll get back to, together.
See you on Tuesday!
Bill McKibben for 350.org
P.S. You can also join me—and other movement leaders from social, racial and economic justice movements—for a strategy discussion today at 7pm EST to chart out the broader fight ahead. Get more info and sign up for that here.

350.org is building a global climate movement. Become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

You can update your contact information, location, or language here, or if you're 100% sure you never want to hear from 350.org again you can click here to unsubscribe.