[Dialogue] Standing Rock Trip U, Day 4

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Nov 10 16:40:17 PST 2016

Standing Rock Trip Update

Day 4:  November 10:

Hi folks,

Weather report indicated yesterday was a record high in Bismarck/Standing Rock--75 degrees--10 degrees higher than the normal 65 degrees.  Nice for us and a temporary reprieve from the cold fall for those camping at Standing Rock.  We had to sit in the shade to avoid getting burned.  No coats needed.  However, the high temp is probably another indication of climate change which has affected the water here.  Many ponds we saw were dried up or had lower water levels.

Today we left Standing Rock, driving south on route 1806, along the Missouri River/Lake Oahe and rolling hills and vast landscape.

The Bismarck paper reports that the politicians, emboldened by Trump's win, say that the easement permit from the Army Corps of Engineers will be given and that the pipeline will go through soon.  They are probably right.  But there will probably be a few more prayer actions when that starts to happen.  I hope violence and bloodshed can be avoided.

Today, at the Oceti Sakowin Camp, a number of veterans are supposed to arrive.

We debriefed and reflected during the first leg of our trip home.  Much to ponder but grateful for those who are standing with Standing Rock and for our Native American brothers and sisters who are saying "Enough" to the powers that be and are standing for the rights of Mother Earth on behalf of all of us.

National "actions" in support of Standing Rock are taking place across the country November 15.  Check the website for one near you or organize one.

Ellie
elliestock at aol.com