[Dialogue] Standing Rock; Native American month; Song: Red Cloud, music

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Nov 4 15:01:45 PDT 2016

Hi folks,

The National American Indian Museum and Cultural Center in Washington, D.C. has designated November as Native American Month.  Other groups have done the same.  Some faith communities have designated specific dates, and some are recognizing Columbus Day as Native American Day.  Regardless, this year, with the events at Standing Rock, this past summer and now fall, have become a kairotic moment for Native Americans--and perhaps for the nation, for indigenous peoples globally, for and the larger earth community--as their primal story of being relatives with Mother Earth and all its creatures--animal, vegetable, mineral--eclipses the narrative lies of corporate and governmental greed and power--a false story that has led to the disruption and destruction of Earth's eco systems and people.

As we stand with the Water Protectors at Standing Rock, we join them in proclaiming and being the ancient story of being one with the Earth, Our Common Home.

Four years ago I shared with the list serve the song "Red Cloud Appeared in a Dream"--different Sioux Tribe but the same story.  It was written in honor and remembrance of the First Nation Peoples whose legacy and presence still implore and challenge us to honor, care for and live in harmony with Creation and each other, walking lightly on Earth's sacred space.  In light of Standing Rock, I thought I'd resend it.

Red Cloud was an Oglala Lakota Sioux Chief in the 1800s-early 1900s who defended his people and land against the continual encroachment, plundering and broken treaties by the U.S. government, military, and economic interests.  He was the only one to defeat the US military in what was called Red Cloud's War (although the US started it) 1866-68 when the US built forts on Lakota land.  He was a leader before, and contemorary of Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Big Foot and others and outlived them, dying on the Pine Ridge Reservation in 1909.  Today, Pine Ridge is the poorest community in the United States.  Some statistics indicate its poverty rate and hopelessness level lower than Haiti.  Similar patterns of political oppression, economic exploitation and religious legitimation (Borg) continue to be US policy toward populations in this nation as well as other nations.  Such behavior, especially our attitude toward the earth, is coming back to haunt us.

Ellie Stock
elliestock at aol.com

RED CLOUD APPEARED IN A DREAM

Red Cloud appeared in a dream—