[Dialogue] about Hillary...

W. J. via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Nov 1 13:09:47 PDT 2016

Susan wrote:Values??? The only values I see are  abject greed, a pathological allegiance to lies, and arrogant flaunting of her ability to circumvent the law. She has done absolutely nothing to improve the lives of the poor and disadvantaged yet claims she has in the face of all evidence to the contrary. I've heard for years about this possible connection to EI/ICA, and I truly hope it's not true. It would be a horrible embarrassment to the movement.
Since I started this ball rolling by simply pointing to this CNN report (http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/politics/clinton-faith-private/) I will comment, but NOT on Susan's diatribe (after all, we need one outlier to voice the hatred Hillary and Bill have kicked up).Instead, I invite you to consider what it might mean for us as a group to have had some notable history-bending influence on a presidential candidate.Hillary was a 1964 "Goldwater Girl" in a cowgirl outfit--the result of her family's influence and that of Park Ridge and her Methodist background. Then Rev. Don Jones entered her life and expanded her horizons.I invite you to honor what the Ecumenical Institute did to 'explode' the limited context of the religious pablum offered by the Methodist Church in the 1960's--not to mention its antecedents in Texas back in 1950's.Hillary's Methodism has 'stuck' profoundly within who she is. But it is Methodism profoundly changed and leveraged by our work.Never forget that this happened historically. And never belittle or dismiss our efforts or deny the impact of our mission in an earlier era and another cultural context. If you do, I'm comin' after you!MarshallRecently I immersed myself in Bonhoeffer's 591-page biography by right-wing evangelical author Eric Metaxas. Here's the bottom line (saving you the cost and time to read the book--though I highly recommend it!): he didn't have clean hands. And he was WAY more elitist and entitled than you can imagine. And SO German!So before you go jumping all over Hillary, you might want to reread and chart Bonhoeffer's Freedom paper. Carefully!And if you want to know exactly what Hillary said to Joe Thomas, you'll have to ask him! Keeping in mind his propensity to embellish.