[Dialogue] Rod Worden

Raymond Caruso via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu May 26 06:52:01 PDT 2016

Dear friends:

Our dear colleague,friend and founder of the Litbu ecovillage recently passed away. Rod Worden, cared deeply for Litibu and put his passion into its creation
for over 20 years. He was our go- to guy for anything that required a structure or some innovative solution. He built many of our casas and the complete infrastructure
for our community. He actively participated in the beach community in many capacities over the years. He deeply loved our little piece paradise and took care of it.

 His family wanted to share a  little of his life captured in the obituary below.

There will be memorial services in Gig Harbor ,WA on July 30 ( details contact alpine at comcast.com <mailto:alpine at comcast.com> );  and then our Litibu community will celebrate his completed life here next January. More details will follow
for January event.

Blessings , Salvatore Caruso

John Rodney (Rod) Worden, 1935-2016

J. Rodney Worden died May 9, 2016 from influenza following decline after breaking his hip.
He is survived by his sister, Meri, three children and their spouses: Elaine & Todd, Helen and Michael, and John and Pam, and four grandchildren: Sarah and Matthew Worden and Emma and BenWorden-Sapper. Rod was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1935 to Hazel andJack Worden. He attended the University of Washington in Seattle,majoring in physics, where he met Rose Herrick. They were married in 1957.

Rod worked for over a decade at Boeing in Kent, WA. Rod’s career as a physicist at Boeing and other smaller laser/optics companies put him at the forefront of developing optical technology for everything from spy satellites to 3D imaging. He inherited his father’s love for architecture and designed and built our house on Dash Point in FederalWay, WA. He was also an avid kayaker, hiker and camper.

A pivotal point in Rod’s life came when he and Rose decided to join theInstitute of Cultural Affairs (ICA), which was then called theEcumenical Institute. This choice to be part of an organization dedicated to social justice grew out of Rod’s deep concern for civil-rights. Rod and Rose remained involved with the ICA for the rest of their lives and served in Seattle, New York City, Venezuela, Atlanta,Orlando and Mexico City.

Rod and Rose retired to Litibu beach near Higuera Blanca, Nayarit,Mexico in 1992, where they built the first house in what would become a small village of retired ICA colleagues. Rod designed his house and several others to use solar energy, rain water collection, and separate gray water and septic systems, with the goal of environmentally sustainable living. Tragically, Rose died of cancer in 1995, shortly after the home was completed.

Our dad passed on to us his love of nature and science. We treasure our memories of camping and hiking in pristine mountain areas of Washington and California and going on wild rides through Venezuela and Mexico in search of the perfect, secluded beach. These traits: the desire to explore, to build, and to understand nature will always remain with us and his grandchildren.

Authors: Elaine, Helen and John (Worden).