[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] Remote communities in Australia

John P Cock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat May 16 06:52:02 PDT 2015

Try this link:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/05/11/4231553.htm

Thanks, Frank, et al.

From:  frank bremner via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
Date:  Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:49 PM
To:  Dialogue ICA <oe at wedgeblade.net>, Dialogue OE <dialogue at wedgeblade.net>
Subject:  [Oe List ...] Remote communities in Australia

Greetings.  Especially if you spent any time in northern Western Australia,
at Mowanjum and/or Oombulgurri in the 70s-80s.

Tony Abbott, our PM referred to remote communities as having "made lifestyle
choices".  You can check out the rest of his comments.

The WA government has been closing down many remote communities.  Again you
can check the details.

On this past Monday the ABC's flagship current affairs program, Four
Corners, showed a story called Remote Hope, about the above situation.  I
managed to find it on ABC iView, where it will be available into June.  The
address is as follows:

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/four-corners/NC15C

Although there have been problems with violence, sexual harassment,
paedophilia and so on, the government bodies involved have not looked at
"underlying contradictions" (to use an old phrase).  The comments made by
some of the locals, and by some agencies, show more maturity and
understanding than the state and federal governments.

We, as ICA,  may have made mistakes in these places - eg our secretiveness
within our "revolutionary" mindset, and our claims to be the best thing
since sliced bread - but it makes interesting viewing.

Meanwhile "ice" is an increasing problem across (white, and not-so-remote)
Australia.  Recently a top-level meeting was held at Mount Gambier, a rural
city, about this issue.

Best wishes

Frank Bremner

OE at lists.wedgeblade.net