[Dialogue] What a Time to be Alive

Ken Fisher via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat May 9 19:00:37 PDT 2015

Good one, Richard!

Ken

On May 9, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Richard via Dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

Dear Colleagues, wrote this to my local newspaper and it was printed. Wow, two in a row.
This is a portent of the ICA/Acc77 Sustainability and Faith Forum planned in the fall. Getting faith and environment together seems like a natural. Just like the NRM and the NSV.

What a Time to be Alive
The One Earth Film Fest, in its closing event at Unity Temple, showed a powerful movie, named The Wisdom toSurvive. The film features thought leaders and activists in the realms of science, economics and spirituality discussing how we can evolve and take action in the face of climate disruption. . The  quote that stuck with me was by Joanna Macy: “If you want an adventure, boy, what a time to be alive!”. We live in a time of a major change in civilization as we move from a carbon economy to one that is finding a less destructive relationship to nature.
 It becomes clear to me that things are changing when I look at awareness and changes taking place in our faith institutions, typically a conserving dynamic in society.
Examples include the much anticipated encyclical on climate change from Pope Francis. . Through this communication he will  provide spiritual guidance to the world’s 1.1 billion Catholics. The Pope is timing the letter to influence this year’s crucial climate treaty talks in Paris. The transformational step may well be a massive mobilization of public opinion by the Vatican and other religions for collective action to safeguard the well-being of both humanity and the environment.
Another example is the statements made by Katherine Jefferts Schori Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church of the United States  who has stated that to deny climate change based on "political interests" or "willful blindness  is “Sinful".  It’s decidedly wrong to use resources that have been given into our collective care in ways that diminish the ability of others to share in abundant life.
My own  United Methodist Bishop, Rev. Sally Dyck has published a book titled, A Hopeful Earth, in which she concludes, “we call on communities of faith to come together in small groups and as congregations to support and encourage one another as they do no harm, do good and stay in love with God in regard to carrying for the earth”.
In order to renew the commitment of area faith communities to be custodians of creation Oak Park Euclid Avenue United Methodist Church along with Faith in Place, the Interfaith Green Network and the Office of Peace and Justice for the Archdiocese of Chicago are sponsoring a different kind of revival, an Earth Revival, May 1 and 2. Friday night guest speaker, Rev, Dr. Otis Moss III, senior pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, and an exceptional prophetic preacher will be present to launch the revival.  Saturday afternoon a series of of workshops will be offered for congregations and individuals to help reduce our  carbon footprints.  All events are free and open to the public.   More information and registration is available at  www.euclidavenueumc.org

Submitted by Richard Alton
Oak Park resident and member of Euclid Avenue United Methodist Church

Richard H.T. Alton 166 N. Humphrey Ave, Apt, 1N Oak Park, IL 60302 T:1.773.344.7172 richard.alton at gmail.comDon't let the fear of striking out hold you back Babe Ruth