[Dialogue] FW: [Oe List ...] Breakfast News Conversations...

frank bremner via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Aug 26 04:59:34 PDT 2015

G'day friends
I remember "the immediacy of the eschaton" as a phrase used by William Buckley Jnr in an interview from the mid-70s.   I think it was for Playboy - if so it's available for download, as is the interview they did with Jimmy Carter.
Buckley was talking about one aspect of "the Left" of his time.  "It's all coming apart, it's all crumbling, and we'll have a nuclear war tomorrow, or we will be on the end of the flight of an ICBM, so if it doesn't get fixed tomorrow we might as well give up and go live in the desert/forest/air raid shelter.  Or maybe we might as well get angry, and violent."
And the "solution" had better be perfect.  If it's not, we'll withdraw our support for creative activity.
The solution?  Maybe many, many, small creative actions.  Maybe coordinated but not too tightly.   By people keeping in touch with each other. Etc etc.
"Creative actions"?  I remember reading Arthur Haley's "The Money Changers" (I think that was the title), which included some very creative community actions.  And replicable.
Wasn't Gandhi's salt march another example?
I could point to a dozen or more creative actions in Australia - quiet, behind the scenes, often dismissed - but they're chipping away (and I'm not talking about a Gene McDaniels song there).
Cheers
Frank Bremner