[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Sept 11

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 19 20:08:39 PDT 2014

*THU SEP 11** First Presbyterian Church, Michigan City to Bourissa Hills,
New Castle, IN*

We knew the departure time would be early because the route was 24 miles to
New Castle. We had breakfast with our friends and left for the church by
7:45am. It was chilly and sprinkling. We saw some Marchers on their way
down the road as we headed for the church. When we arrived the only
vehicles in the parking lot were the support vehicles.  It was still
sprinkling and the temperature was in the 60s. JJ offered to let me ride
with him to the next campsite. I took him up on it and put my bike in the
Gear truck. We took our time getting to Bourissa Park in New Castle. We
were the first vehicle to arrive. We waited in the parking lot for awhile.
I waited in the cab because I had shorts and a short sleeved shirt.
Eventually we searched for the Library. It was easy to find.

The park adjoined the town’s school. Right across from the school was the
library. I keep my laptop computer stored in the Gear truck. The truck
hadn’t arrived. I was aware that could happen so I kept my journaling on a
flash-drive and kept it in my pocket. I was able to use one of the
library’s computers and updated my journaling. When we finished at the
library we went back to the park. The Gear truck had arrived.

It was still chilly and sprinkling. There was a small pavilion with picnic
tables down the hill from the parking lot. I wasn’t willing to put up a
tent in the rain so I put my sleeping gear out on the floor next to one of
the tables. Because it was a 24 mile walk the Marchers were late in
arriving. The New Carlyle Lion’s Club had a small building at the entrance
of the park; at least ¼ of a mile away. We had dinner there. At the end of
dinner Kat entertained a discussion about the possibility of staying an
extra day at the People’s Climate March in NYC and joining the Monday March
on Wall Street. There were a variety of opinions and no consensus was
reached; the discussion will continue.

When we asked if we could stay in the building overnight the answer was
“No”. We returned to the park. Now there were school football teams
practicing; some on the regular football fields and some in the park. The
parking lot was full. At dusk Marie came back to the camp and announced
that the Lions Club had given us permission to sleep in their building. I
willingly moved my sleeping gear. By the time I got all settled in it was
10 o’clock Eastern time.

--
Peace, David