[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Sept. 6-7

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Sep 14 22:12:25 PDT 2014

*SAT SEP 06-07 **Blackwell Forest Unitarian Church, Oak Park to 4750 N
Sheridan, Chicago, IL*

Early in the morning Doug received a phone call that he was needed at the
Gear truck. Norman took him over to the church. I was ready to go when
Norman returned and by that time Ann was up. I thanked them for their
hospitality and departed. I packed my equipment, collected my bike at the
church, and went across the street to the park; our departure place. I was
greeted by Terry Bergdall with his bike. Before we left Dick Alton and
Sally Duval showed up. We Circled-up and set off for the Conservatory, the
site of our first Rally.

Terry and I reached the site long before the Marchers arrived. He had a
book to read, I toured the Conservatory. Then Lin and Pam arrived and Paul
Noah. When the Marchers arrived we had a small Rally. There were local
activists who participated. Then the March went past the Gold Dome, the
building where Lin was employed as a community health nurse in 1966-67.
Terry had suggested the March route go right through 5th City, the
neighborhood the Ecumenical Institute had worked in. When we got to the
Iron Man, a symbol of steadfastness in revitalizing and renewing the
community, we had a picture taken. By the time we got the pictures taken
Pam, Lin, and Paul were too far behind the March procession so they took
public transportation downtown to the Chicago Cultural Center.

Terry and I rode our bikes and went to the lakefront to find lunch. We ran
into Paul Noah and together we found a suitable restaurant in the shade.
After lunch I toured the giant bean, an enormous bean completely covered
with a mirror surface. Then we went to Daley Plaza for the Chicago Rally.
It was well attended and the presentations were excellent. Some of the
speakers were Marchers. It ended about 3:30pm. Lin, Pam, and Paul took
public transportation to Uptown where we would have our home stay. Terry
and I rode our bikes up the lakefront. Lin showed me to our room on 8th
floor and pointed out many of the things they have done at GreenRise. Lots
of changes in the building since the mid-70‘s! We went to a potluck dinner
on 1st floor I saw some of my old acquaintances: Marge Philbrook, Jean
Long, Mary Laura, Jim Troxel, Ed F, Ken Otto, (& some I don’t have names
for) and was introduced to some who are currently working with ICA. it was
a great dinner and social hour.

On Sunday morn we went to 6th floor for breakfast. We did some laundry and
headed for a Presbyterian Church north and west of 4750. We didn’t reach it
in time and went to a Methodist Church instead.  Lin took me out to my
birthday lunch!  In the afternoon Lin mended my backpack and cut my hair.
The dinner was out on 6th floor  If you wanted dinner you had to hurry
because there was a 350.org. film, *Disruption*, being shown. 350.org and
other groups have done a marvelous job of anticipating the People’s Climate
March in NYC on Sep 21. Our group will be taking a bus up and back so that
we can say, "The longest Climate March meets the largest Climate March". I
was pleased that Terry and Pam participated in all of the public events
that they and ICA hosted for the March for the weekend.
--
Peace, David