[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Oct. 16

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Oct 23 14:12:51 PDT 2014

*THU OCT 16* *Allegheny Unitarian Universalist Church, Pittsburg to Church
of the Brethren, Monroeville, PA*

Elizabeth did breakfast prep and we helped ourselves to breakfast. Once we
packed the car, Pat delivered us to the church where the March was having
breakfast. I got on my bike and headed for Monroeville. There were many
hills that I walked. I found it confusing that the street signs weren’t
always up, i.e., some streets had no name. Stopping to ask for directions
can be troublesome. Sometimes I find someone on the sidewalk/street, but
they don’t always know the way to my destination. Employees of local
businesses are sometimes from out of town. I got to the church and found
Kitchen Truck and the solar trailer but the Gear truck was gone.

Deb arranged a few homestays. Jim and Mary Brigg hosted us. There was a
potluck dinner at the church and Jim attended. Once again we were pleased
that local activists attended. As the meal concluded we were asked to get a
mix of Marchers and local citizens at each table. Then we had a
conversation answering two questions: 1) How are we feeling about where
humanity is today with climate change?  2) Considering the answers to #1,
what is one climate action we can take now?  I find myself pessimistic. We
in the US are trapped in a Consume-&-Throw-Away Society. In order to
respect the climate we must immediately change this lifestyle. The way I
identify this change is becoming like the Amish--sharing housing, returning
to animal-powered vehicles and utensils and practicing population balance.
My answer to the action we can take now is in turning our lawn into garden.
The dinner and discussions lasted until 8pm. Then Jim took Kris and me home
with him. Given the fact that we had to be back at the church early in the
morning we just settled in and went to bed.

--
Peace, David