[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Oct. 14-15

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Oct 22 22:05:33 PDT 2014

*TUE OCT 14* *Holy Family RC Church, Emsworth to Allegheny Unitarian
Universalist Church, Pittsburg, PA*

Walking hills has become a regular part of my daily exercise! The route had
us convening at an automobile shop along the Allegheny River to observe the
factory directly across the river that is burning coal to make charcoal for
the steel industry. It pollutes the nearby air source. I didn’t find route
instructions for the rest of the route. Beth and Steve were present so I
asked Steve for the route directions.  It was not the route the Marchers
took but I did it and got to the Church.

We gathered there at 12:30pm for a Rally. There were a number of local
activists that came to make presentations. One of them was a fellow who
said we’ll have to join together to make the changes that we want, and
singing is a way of joining together. So he led us in a song using the
melody of *Which Side Are You On.* He had a new set of words for the verses
and had the gathering join in the chorus. I got a sheet of paper with the
words and have to get it on a Word file. After the Rally our Home-stay
hosts collected us: Kris, from Iowa; Greg, from Michigan; and myself. Greg
had an assignment to drop some of the Marchers off at another Home-stay.
Elizabeth led Greg to his drop-off and then led him to her house. I found
the streets of Pittsburg very confusing because you go uphill and down,
around a curve, across an overpass and under a tunnel. Elizabeth seemed to
have her GPS in her head! When we reached her house we learned that our
Home-stay hosts were Elizabeth and Pat. Elizabeth put out an afternoon
snack and showed us our bedrooms. I had 4 days of journaling to catch up on
and Kris and I did some laundry. They had a bathtub so I took a bath. I
brought my sleeping bag and put it out on the bed so I didn’t use their
sheets. Pat came home from work and Elizabeth served us a dinner. The five
of us finished off a large bottle of red wine. After dinner we all went to
our bedrooms and spent some time un-winding before bedtime.

*WED OCT 15* Pat was up at 6:30am and went for a walk. The rest of us took
our time waking up. Breakfast was informal. Elizabeth invited us to take a
walk in a nearby park. Both Kris and Greg accepted. I  searched the web for
possibilities for my return trip west. I didn’t find anything.

There was another evening potluck. Pat dropped us off at the church where
some of the Marchers were staying. It was mid-afternoon and there was
nothing going on at that church so we walked 2 miles to the potluck church.
Once again the Pennsylvania activists were present. It was interesting to
meet and talk with them. One of the presenters told of the grass-roots
effort that Pittsburg went through to ban Fracking in their city; the first
city in the world to do so! It was inspiring and an example that others
need to follow. At the close of the dinner and the presentations, the
Marchers were asked to introduce themselves and make a brief comment about
the March. Then Anita gave an introduction to Citizens’ Climate Lobby on
the Internet. When evening was brought to a close Elizabeth took the 3 of
us back to her house.
 --
Peace, David