[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Update Oct 01

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Oct 5 18:13:31 PDT 2014

*WED OCT 01* *Bellevue to Edison Woodland Preserve, New Berlin, OH*

The first day of October! Seven months on the March; only one month left!
Overnight was a reminder that fall is here. The overnight temperature must
have gotten down into the 50’s. The morning sky was covered with clouds; no
way to see the sun. I saw a sign at 10:30am that registered the temperature
at 68º.

Today was a 23-mile day. I did get Sarah’s directions by email but found
the route directions confusing and so probably did 28 miles of riding. There
was a town along the way that was Thomas Edison’s birthplace. I probably
could have spent an afternoon there.  I had the long-sleeved Camarillo CERT
shirt on under the maroon long-sleeved knit shirt that Heidi sent me. It
kept me warm but when I got to camp the CERT shirt was soaking wet with
sweat. During my ride I had a brainstorm about all the things that must
change if we’re to have a livable future. I came up with something the
March could do:  Start Dave Finnegan’s program *Climate Change Is
Elementary* <climatechangeiselementary.org> across the
nation—North/South/East/West. It would mean gridding the nation and
training facilitators for each section. It would put an enormous burden on
Dave, but it would spread the program across the nation.

We are staying in a 1,300-acre preserve that was once slated to be a site
of a nuclear power plant. Because it was such a long March day, and I got
to camp before those Marching, Kai asked me to help get the vegetables
chopped for stir fry, and set up the stoves in the amphitheater. It’s been
a long time since I was asked to work in the ‘kitchen’. The afternoon cools
off and the sun starts to set earlier. Dinnertime went into dusk. There
were a string of Christmas lights across part of the amphitheater. Someone
plugged them in and JJ put up a tablet of newsprint and started a
presentation on Extinction. He lectured from his Laptop computer. The
amphitheater was crowded because we have had new people join us. I wasn’t
able hear or see the presentation. Someone had erected the Taj Mahal tent.
I put my sleeping gear in the tent and went to bed.
--
Peace, David