[Dialogue] Fw: Once More, Into the Breach!

Bill Parker bparker175 at cox.net
Sat Feb 15 09:28:38 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Parker
To: Gordon Harper ; Jack Gilles
Cc: Larry Ward ; Wendell Refior ; Sally Fenton ; Timothy Wegner ; Steve Harrington ; Paul Noah ; Beret Griffith ; Frank Knutson ; Marge Philbrook ; Rosemary Albright ; Jean Long
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: Once More, Into the Breach!

Jack and all,

Thanks for your comments. It seems we have three tasks in front of us: 1) understanding the practical shape of systemic transformation that leads to sustainable life processes; 2) addressing the underlying contradiction that would unlock the massive global/local movement already indicatively present but incoherently related; 3) bringing to the forefront the different faces of the human community that while seemingly independent speak and act out of a mutual commitment and discipline for systemic transformation for the benefit of the entire human community.

The underlying contradiction we have been working on since before the first Symposium at Oklahoma City University is "the disengagement of the population due to a closely held conviction that nothing could be done to affect the systemic reality" resulting in delimited action or none at all. Gene Marshall talked about this in his book "The Road from Empire to Eco-Democracy" as a disbelief in the plausibility of systemic change. People know...they see, and some act...but they do not see their actions altering the systemic reality, but most live with themselves managing the futility without going insane. Some are able to do even that.

And Jack, the different faces of the human community are a reflection of your work on the guilds. We need NEW authorities, NEW types of expertise, people who can deal with the technicalities of different dimensions of the life processes AND who are absolutely clear about how systemic transformation can happen through them and others like them. Think of those "faces" as engaged global/local networks in areas of expertise and/or interests but who know the circuitry of their work in terms of what is needed from all the other faces and what it can give to all of the other faces as well.

As you said, or someone said, "once more, into the breach".

Bill