[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] Fwd: Question about Imaginal Education these days

Jack Gilles via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Dec 7 09:10:22 PST 2014

Dear All,

I think Jeanette has done the best job of answering the question of a definition. But we have to understand that “we” have a long history of this definition and tend to assume that others grasp the profound depth behind it, and I don’t think they do. For instance, although the term ORID is based on a natural flow of consciousness, to utilize it effectively requires a depth understanding of I.E. and that in and by itself is not Imaginal Education (as we define the term). The same for Project Work, Strategic Planning and other methods we have honed and championed.

It could be said that all “education” is “Imaginal”, that is, it is based on a set of images and assumptions that are then communicated in a method called Education. And it is more than just being “conscious” about the process. Those who want to teach about American Exceptional-ism are very clear that they want certain “images” to be communicated and to take root. Thus you have a spectrum of Imaginal Education from outright designed propaganda to unconscious and unquestioned “Images” that are the basis of what is being communicated.

So the issue of I.E. is the life stance and understanding that is underneath the process. To use our language, the “Word” is absolutely essential for the process. That reality is worthy of a long” discourse, but to be an effective Imaginal Educator it needs to be understood at the heart of the creative effort. For people’s information, Mark Dove’s son, Tim, has done a fantastic job of just that, without ever mentioning any of our historic language. So, having a profound and self-conscious understanding of humanness is essential for effective Imaginal Education as we have framed it.

Good discussion (dialogue)!

Jack

P.S. I’ve added Tim Dove’s name to the list so that he can see how this discussion is going and can respond if he so desires. He is the best example of anyone I know who has built a whole-system understanding of education based on Imaginal Education.