[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Aug 18

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Aug 22 10:59:01 PDT 2014

*MON AUG 18*  *Ladora to Homestead, IA*

It was a 16.8 mile route to Homestead. Highway 6 is parallel to the
railroad so it was mostly level.  At Marengo  I chose not to go by Grandma
and Grandpa Zahrt’s house. As I remember the last time I went to the
location, the house had been demolished and replaced. I went by the
Cemetery but I don’t know where their stones are, so I decided not to spend
a lot of time in the cemetery. One of the stones readable from the highway
read ‘John Zahrt’. I’m sure he would have been a relation of mine!

I looked forward to Homestead because that’s where we had our meal for
those attending our wedding 55 years ago. The building is still there but
it is no longer a restaurant. Homestead is an Amish community and most of
the residential area is off from Hwy 6. A fellow that established a
community store/produce center hosted us. He let us use his grounds. There
were a series of meetings in the afternoon. Gavain returned and indicated
his truck is not worth repairing. So we’ll have to find another way to pull
the Commode. A new Marcher from Iowa has arranged for his brother to pull
it to West Branch. We have a stay-day in Coralville/Iowa City so that will
give us some time to find an alternative. (*Did you notice in the picture
of the windmill on the hood of Gavain's truck? One resourceful guy!  Bet he
is in mourning. lz)*

I spent my time journaling and setting up the tent. The evening meal was
provided for us—a series of casseroles in aluminum pans. It was delicious
and nutritious. A neighbor brought some rhubarb—stalks, leaves, and all—and
dropped it on one of the tables. I discovered it, found a cutting board and
a knife, and ‘dressed’ it up. When Mary (one of our self-described
kitchen-maids) came by I asked what she would do with the rhubarb. She
didn’t know and asked what I would do with it. I spelled out the steps and
she asked me to cook the rhubarb for breakfast. That would mean getting up
at 4:30 AM so I went to bed.
--
Peace, David