[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA Aug 7-8

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Aug 15 13:23:48 PDT 2014

 *THU AUG 07*—*Bridgewater to Greenfield, IA*

It was foggy and misty. As soon as the circle-up was done I left for
Greenfield. I think I rode the road on RAGBRAI one year (2009?). I remember
I stayed at The Brass Lantern B&B that ride and that Marty & Terry Moore
were the innkeepers. When I stopped at Casey’s for cocoa I phoned them.
Marty answered the phone and we re-established acquaintance. I indicated I
wanted to stop and see them. I came through town and stopped at the
Presbyterian Church where we were camping that night. Then I went through
town another 1 ½  miles to The Brass Lantern. The mist had turned into a
steady light rain. I almost turned around but I decided I wanted to make
the contact. We had an extended conversation that both reminisced and
anticipated the future. Marty is the Chair of the IBBA. She has ceased
publishing a statewide flyer and has gone to using the Internet.

I rode back to the Presbyterian Church. They allowed us to use the basement
auditorium/kitchen. There were several meetings held. One was focused on
future events—Des Moines and Chicago. Gavain suggested that we blockade the
L-train in downtown Chicago to bring attention to the ‘big business’ in
downtown Chicago.  I think that is not the way to go because it could
appear that we are against public transportation. The dinner was informal
so Izzy, Luke, Gavain (on the Cello), and I practiced a song that Izzy’s
daughter has written to tell Obama to stop the KXL.

*FRI AUG 08*—*Greenfield to Dexter (along the Hwy), IA*

Liz gave me directions to the next campsite that concluded with 4.5 miles
of gravel in hills. The hills were so strenuous I probably walked a mile
while getting to the destination. I got there and waited, journaled, and
ate lunch. None of the trucks arrived so I attempted to call Liz. My phone
wouldn’t work. I went to several houses to see if I could use as landline
phone.  I was surprised to find that the countryside was so uninhabited. At
the third house I found someone home. They recognized me because they had
been at the Presbyterian Church in Greenfield the previous evening. I
phoned Liz, who told me that the campsite had been changed! The couple knew
where the campsite would be. The husband suggested that we put my bike in
his pickup and he'd drive me to the campsite. I willingly accepted his
offer. It didn’t take long to get to the campsite. I was extremely grateful
and thanked him for the ride.

Those who chose to had dinner in discussion groups. I chose the group that
read and discussed *World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and
Social Harmony* by Will Tuttle, PhD. The statistics about how many
resources agriculture consumes and throws away to make animal products for
human consumption was astounding to me. It made me re-think the prospect of
becoming a vegetarian. It was dark after dinner so we all went to bed.
--
Peace, David