[Dialogue] Prayers for Ferguson and Dellwood (St Louis, MO)

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Aug 11 08:46:14 PDT 2014

Greetings from St. Louis (Ferguson/Dellwood)~

By now you have probably seen on national/internet media the news about the black teenager who was shot and killed by a Ferguson police officer last Saturday.  (Ferguson is where our ministerial alliance is, where we have our Eco Team, and the location of the Farmer's Market and Earthdance organic farm where we volunteer.  It is also the location of our post office, bank and other businesses/restaurants we go to.)   After the shooting, crowds of residents started gathering, remaining into Sat urday evening and Sunday morning.

Sunday we returned from doing an Earth Care Congregation presentation at St Charles PC (west of St Louis) to learn there was a prayer vigil in Ferguson regarding  the shooting. We were not aware (neither was our ministerial alliance) that a vigil had been planned (by outside groups), and it ended about the time we returned home.  In the evening.  That evening, another peaceful vigil was held which we did not attend.  Other segments of the crowd milling around the street turned violent--vandalizing and looting businesses in Ferguson, torching and destroying a Quicktrip gas station, then moving north on W. Florissant to Dellwood (where we live), looting businesses just down the street from our former church's building and few blocks from our home.  Zisser's Tire and Auto Dealer, also completely looted, was where we used to have our cars serviced before we got our Prius and know the owners.  The police/fire dept computers were hacked and sabotaged, and all the police and elected leaders have received death threats.

Sunday night we heard the wailing of sirens outside and the police helicopter hovering overhead.  We watched it all unfold on live TV coverage until after midnight.  I woke up before 6am to the sound of a news media helicopter.

It is so sad and frustrating, as Ferguson and Dellwood have worked very hard to build community and attract businesses, and the churches and other organizations have worked over the years to address issues of racism and economic inequity.  Unfortunately, this violence detracts from the original issue of the teen's death and the underlying racial tension and disparity in so many communities.  Our ministerial alliance is now discerning how best to engage in this situation.  When the media is all gone, we will still be left with the follow-up and real work.

There is a community meeting tonight with the NAACP, Al Sharpton, etc., but I fear it could be hijacked by more media-centric or violent elements.  Carleton is still deciding whether or not to attend.

Please remember the Ferguson situation in prayer.  Presently another peaceful demonstration is filling the streets and the helicopters are still hovering...

Ellie
elliestock at aol.com