[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA 8/04

David Zahrt via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Aug 8 17:53:07 PDT 2014

*MON AUG 04*

Monday was a Rest Day so things didn’t start early in the morn. Once Denise
took care of the household responsibilities for the 5 guests, she took me
with my broken bike seat to Marne, IA to get her good friend, the welder,
Steve’s assessment on the seat repair. Steve took a look at it and said he
could do it today. He also told Denise that he had sweet corn that needed
to be picked and she could have all she wanted. We left and didn’t pick any
but Denise said we should get some when we came back.

Denise invited the five of us to help get the 4  ft. tall foxtail grass out
of the potato patch. I began weeding but saw that the vines were dying and
the potatoes were ready to be harvested, I asked for a potato fork. I
weeded and dug potatoes as I went down the row. The other 5 Marchers kept
weeding.  We piled the weeds in the bed of the pickup and made 3 trips to
their compost pit. In an hour and 15 minutes we had the patch cleared of
weeds and I had dug 23 lb of potatoes. We went back to the house and told
Denise what we had done. She left us to finish up the lunch prep and went
out to the potato patch to see the end product. She came back delighted. I
think we had ‘paid’ for our stay.

After lunch Steve called and said the bike seat was welded. Denise took me and
a 5-gallon pail back to Marne.  Steve showed us the seat and charged me
$10.  I thanked him and Denise let him know that we wanted to pick some
corn. He directed us to the place in the field, we picked the pail full,
and returned home. I invited Bernice to help me shuck all the corn. Then I
had time to re-assembled my bike. It went back together perfectly.  Denise
was busy doing chores and when Larry got home he went out and rototilled
some of the garden.

On Tuesday we have a 16 mile March to Cumberland. Larry leaves for work at
5:45am and will take me back to the Atlantic campsite. I packed up to be
sure I was ready to go. We ate dinner at 9pm and finished at 10. The
Home-stay was wonderful, and Denise did everything to make it that way.
Renewing our Iowa acquaintance was heartwarming, and observing all the work
she and Larry did to conduct the Field Day and host the Marchers was
astounding.  I’m very thankful for our relationship.
--
Peace, David