[Dialogue] Epps' Theology of Surprise

George Holcombe grholcombe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 07:53:30 PDT 2013

Surprisingly, Amazon sent it the next day, though I had it on standard delivery.  It took me two sittings to read through it (you really don't want to put it down).  Some parts reminded me of the witnesses at Daily Office in the old Jet Hanger, and other parts of JWM's dramatic orations in room E or his eye piercing conversations around the table in the cubicle, while still others brought me back to the classroom with Shubert Ogden at Perkins (not many will have that memory).  But it also reminded me of the intent and thrust of our HDP experiment and in the final chapters threw me up against the decisions I have on my hands at the moment.  Some of it will require a little "chewing" through the theological language; after all John is a theologian, but it's well worth the trip, and the tramping through our categories of experience is a delight.

For me, this has been the best of our efforts going forward, and hopefully our writers will give us more.

Surprisingly enough, the first article I read on the web after putting down the book was one written by Desmond Tutu entitled the God of Surprises. http://www.onbeing.org/program/desmond-tutus-god-surprises/85
Thanks John, spot on.

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin TX 78728
Mobile 512/252-2756
grholcombe at gmail.com

"Whatever the problem, community is the answer.  There is no power greater than a community discovering what it cares about."  Margaret Wheatley