[Dialogue] List reply behavior

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Fri Oct 4 13:02:53 PDT 2013

This is one of my VERY FEW list messages about the list itself. <grin!> I
have a question for you all.

Both of our lists are set up so that when you reply to a message, the reply
(by default) goes to the whole list, as opposed to just the person who
posted. This is often what people want, particularly if they have in mind
continuing a dialogue that they want the whole list to see.

The down side of this is we ALL get very many three-word messages with
replies like ""great!" "Glad you're home", "Our prayers are with you". Good
messages, but probably not optimal for the whole list to see

The way I have the lists set up in this regard is NOT the recommended way
for just this reason. I could change the behavior so the default would be
that your reply GOES TO THE PERSON, not to the whole list.

Pro - this would cut the short messages way down.

Con - If you really meant to make a substantive comment to be sent to the
whole list, you would have to edit the "To" field to do this. I am sure
some people would send messages just to the sender by mistake.

I would appreciate feedback on this, either to me me, or if you wish, the
whole list.

What I am inclined to do is just change this behavior so the reply defaults
to just the sender and see how it works. I can always change it back if
folks don't like it.

I'm just sending this to dialogue, but I'll implement whatever we decide on
both lists.

Tim