[Dialogue] Passing of Janice

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Tue Aug 6 15:28:51 PDT 2013

We were so sorry to learn of Janice's death.  We first worked together in 1970 as Rochester Region colleagues, and became good friends as our paths crossed during many ICA and other events and visits since then.  As an incredible musician, she shared that gift with her church communities for many years as well as with ICA for musical dramas and other events.  Personally, she helped record the music notation of several songs.  But her interests and passion extended beyond music to the greater ICA community, to the mission of her urban church, to the peace-building efforts of the Binghamton area, and caring for the Earth through the Pachamama Alliance.  During the last year she was part of the team that coordinated the ICA 50th Anniversary 50 events and also helped with Accelerate 77 preparation.

Several times over the years she and Abe and later Janice and we planned to be at Chautauqua Institution the same week, and it was always a great week of catch-up and discussion of the themes for that particular program week as well as local/global issues.  We had planned another week together last June.  As her energy waned due to her chemo treatments, Janice decided she couldn't stay a whole week but was determined to come for a couple of days, which she was able to do, thanks to some good friends in Binghamton who provided transportation.  During these days, she was sharing with us the outline for a retreat she was planning with others, as well as plans for a new program she wanted to start at her church.  We had a great visit, hoping against hope that the chemo would be working miracles.  An email a couple weeks ago sounded optimistic--scans showed no cancer in a previously cancerous place, and decreased cancer in another place.  So, we were shocked to get this news today and deeply saddened.  We will miss her greatly.

The memory of Janice's smile, the echo of her laughter, the gentleness of her compassion, her collegiality and friendship, and the single-mindedness, tenacity, determination, and enthusiasm with which she reached out to and served the world will be a lasting legacy and vision of hope.

Grace and peace,
Carleton and Ellie
elliestock at aol.com