[Dialogue] What Happens If You Give the God Lecture Today?

Gordon Harper gharper1 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 24 01:04:45 PDT 2013

Well --

In this case, the poor soul here in Seattle who tried it (no, twas not
I) got roundly booed andsome people in his sizable audience tried hard
to shut him downbefore he was through it.

I'd heard about David Guterson's experience delivering the commencement
address this year at his former Seattle high school. Only recently,
however, did a friend send me a copy of it to read myself. (You may
recognize Guterson's name as the author of the novel, /Snow Falling on
Cedars/.) Ifound his talk so deliciously outrageous as a graduation
speech that I have to share it.

Those who were most outraged and expressed it so vocally were in the
parentsand family memberssection; it seems the graduates were at least
polite and attentive during it.  Its ending is weak (IMHO), and of
course there was no following Christ lecture the next morning.  Still,
if one ever wanted a current rendering of our Friday night event, this
might come close --

Gordon