[Dialogue] Free Speech

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Tue Sep 18 04:07:03 PDT 2012

The recent uproar over the anti-Muslim film,  and
the on-going violence occasioned by the Danish
publication (Jyllands Posten) of caricatures of
the Prophet Mohammed have occasioned some
thoughts about Freedom of Speech. Here they are,
and your comments are most welcome.

Free Speech
Sept. 2012

The ideal of freedom of speech has been enshrined
in the U.S. way of life since the beginning. Some
even argue that it was a driving force for those
who settled from Europe where people were
sometimes persecuted for voicing their opinions
on sensitive matters. So our forefathers fought
and died in part over the principle that anyone
could voice any opinion, however contrary or
disruptive to the established view of the
majority. The principle is embodied in Amendment
1 of the Constitution (“Congress shall make no
laws abridging
 the freedom of speech..” – first
introduced to Congress in 1789.)

In consequence we have all sorts of opinions
making their way across the country, sometime by
airwaves, sometimes by newspaper, often by
Internet. Our heralded diversity includes those
who believe in the immanence of the second
coming, conspiracy theories of many sort, the
reality of Bigfoot, flying saucers, and ghosts,
and numerous versions of racial prejudice. All
are granted their right to speak out without fear of legal prosecution.

Surely, however, there are limits, if not of law,
then of propriety. One simply does not speak up
in praise of Hitler in a Jewish Synagogue. One
needs to consider the consequences of one’s
speech on others, not simply the desire to
express one’s opinions. The editors of the Danish
newspaper that published caricatures of the
Prophet Mohammed still struggle with that
insight: their exercise of “freedom of the press”
violated no legal strictures, but brought
considerable financial loss and suffering to
Danes living and working in Muslim countries. Where does the “freedom” end?

Perhaps there are some “common sense” guidelines.
One may be free to walk wherever one pleases, but
when there are poisonous snakes or alligators on
the path, one limits one’s choices. One may be
free to pick the foliage in the forest, but if it
is poison oak, one elects to leave it alone. And
one does so without blaming the snakes or the
gators or the poison oak – they’re just acting
the way they are. It’s in our best interest to keep out of their way.

This principle is enshrined in the Harry Potter
books with the slogan of Hogwarts School of
Witchcraft and Wizardry: “Draco Dormiens Nunquam
Tittilandus.” (“Never tickle a sleeping dragon.”)
One may be free to tickle, but it is certainly
unwise to exercise that right on a dragon in repose.

Now the Danish publishers of Jyllands Posten and
the makers of the recent film, both obviously
anti-Muslim, are quite free to their opinions,
and have violated no law in their work. But they
have occasioned a great amount of violence and
suffering that could have been both anticipated
and avoided. And both, it seems, fear for their lives.

That may be the key point. Our forefathers were
willing to fight and die for their freedom.
Current practitioners seem outraged when their
“freedom” occasions threats and violence. Maybe
they are not as committed as they’d like us to believe.

This is not to suggest that Muslims resemble
dragons or snakes or alligators or poison oak,
but it is certainly to acknowledge their
sensitivity about criticisms of the Prophet.
Certain things in that culture are taboo, and the
taboo extends beyond members of their religion.
Propriety demands that the taboo be respected.
The alternative is to face the consequences.

In a global society, one needs to consider
sensitivities of many potential audiences before
expressing controversial opinions. This is not to
say one must compromise one’s principles or alter
one’s opinions. But it is to say that one needs
to be willing to take responsibility for the
outcome of one’s pronouncements. Freedom without
responsibility is quite limited.

Of course “free speech” does have limits and
controls, even in the West. Child pornography is
illegal and blocked from the Internet and from
publication. It seems that the public is
unwilling to tolerate some types of expression
that cross the boundaries. The question becomes where to set those bounds.

It seems like “free expressions of opinion” that
occasion physical harm to others might also be a
candidate for banning. That is a slippery slope,
but one that needs exploring. We have no trouble
with the principle that “Your freedom to swing
your fists ends where my nose begins.” Might that
not also apply to statements that insult, demean
or otherwise vilify other people?

John