[Dialogue] Federal Budget Priorities & Faith - Part 1 of 2

Janice Ulangca aulangca at stny.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 06:25:18 PDT 2012

To USA Colleagues,

In this political season, are you concerned that "Christian" priorities are being discussed mostly from the perspective of the far right?  And that candidates need to be held accountable for treating facts with respect?  The Peace with Justice Committee of our county Council of Churches has put together a packet of materials which will go to all affiliated churches and other faith communities that have worked with us on past community efforts. The materials are non-partisan, dealing with policies rather than with particular candidates or parties. I spent much of last week editing the longer material into 2 pages for the packet, so that church adult groups could discuss them.

In two messages are some excerpts that might interest you personally or a church group where frank discussion is encouraged.  A third message has 2 good fact checking web sites which hold both parties accountable for ads and candidate assertions, and a link to a League of Women Voters site which you may find helpful re races in your own area.  I hope you will be as involved as possible in this election.

Janice Ulangca

Preamble to Priorities for a Faithful Federal Budget
"By following our sacred imperative to 'love our neighbor as ourselves,' we not only can pass a budget that makes sense, but pass a budget that begins to create a more just society and a healthier world" said the Rev. Gradye Parsons, Stated Clerk of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). By March 2012, the Faithful Budget Preamble was endorsed by 37 religious denominations and organizations. Included are Network, a national Catholic Social Justice Lobby, and United Methodist, United Church of Christ, Friends (Quakers),  ELCA (Lutheran), Unitarian Universalist, Presbyterian, Progressive National Baptist, and Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) social justice groups.  Other endorsers include Reform Jewish and Muslim groups, Bread for the World, and the National Council of Churches of Christ, USA.  This Faithful Budget is being promoted by the national "Nuns on the Bus"  tour as well as local events in several locations including central New York.  (Video of national Nuns on the Bus tour at www.billmoyers.com  Click on Moyers & Company, then full show from August 24, 2012.)

Here is Part 1 of an overview of the Preamble to Faithful Budget priorities. Link to the full document at www.faithfulbudget.org

THE PREAMBLE

Our Message to Political Leaders

We write as communities of faith where respect and care for one another is a sacred imperative and we are learning to "love our neighbor as ourselves." But American society as a whole is, or should be, also such a place, where we delight in the value of each and every one, and gladly accept a mutual responsibility for one another's wellbeing. .

In the current political and economic climate, neither party is giving voice to the needs of the families who are struggling to overcome poverty. It is simply not true that we must reduce assistance for the poorest among us in order to achieve fiscal recovery. A Faithful Federal Budget can advance fiscal responsibility while increasing support for the poor and vulnerable, by focusing on job creation and economic revitalization, an equitable tax system based on fairness, and true human security over disproportionate military spending. .

In this time of global economic crisis, Jews, Christians, Muslims, and other communities of faith, guided by our sacred texts, advocate a constructive vision of the directions needed for a just society and a healthier world. .

Principles of a Faithful Federal Budget
Restoring Economic Opportunity:
The opportunity to work hard and improve one's economic condition is a value that defines this nation. But it is a reality increasingly available only to those who are already wealthy. . The principles of "liberty and justice for all", as enshrined in our Pledge of Allegiance, seem hollow in light of the pace at which wealth and opportunity have shifted from the many to the few. We believe that everyone deserves equal opportunity and must have equal access to the building blocks for success. We urge Congress to make the long-term investments needed to sustain the United States' economic renewal, create economic opportunity for all, and work toward ending poverty. This requires investments in high-quality, affordable education, sustainable jobs with living wages, and policies that help families to build assets.

Ensuring Adequate Resources for Shared Priorities:

>From the time a federal income tax was established, the concept of a progressive tax system, based on the ability to pay, has been widely accepted as fair and equitable. Over the last several decades our tax system has grown less progressive, and now frequently places more of a tax burden, as a percentage of income, on the middle class than it does on the wealthiest among us. .  Investment in the renewal of our nation's economic well-being and protecting the poor and vulnerable will itself serve to reduce the long-term deficit. Such investment should be financed through an equitable tax system founded on fairness, where those who have reaped extraordinary benefits contribute proportionately to the good of all.

(Continued in Part Two)