[Dialogue] Steve Harrington' Health

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 14:59:19 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the crew working on the archives, we'd like you to be aware of the current health challenges of Steve Harrington, one of the stalwarts of our work.

Steve has a chronic lung condition, tentatively named ideopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which is scaring in the lung tissue with no known cause. With no clear cause, there is no treatment. There are several possible causes two are treatable one isn't, except with a lung transplant.

Thoratic surgery will be next Wednesday afternoon in Regions Hospital They are going to cut into his chest and  lungs to take some tissue samples for a biopsy. There are 3 people doing the diagnosis of the biopsy one at Regions and 2 at Mayo Clinic. The surgery take about 40 minutes and will involve a 4 day hospital stay and 2 weeks recovery with chest tubes. He is on the list for, perhaps, a lung replacement, if there is no treatment.
Steve will be recovering at his sister's for about 2 weeks and he hope to return to Costa Rica in November with a new treatment regimen and a really fast internet connection.

Our prayers are offered for his quick recovery and return to full service. Those of us working on the archives are so grateful for his passion and creativity for our work.

Jack Gilles