[Dialogue] Question about the social process triangles . . .

Lee Early lees.mail at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 07:20:58 PST 2012

I used the SPT in every Design Conference I ever did.  Actually, I used a revised version of the Social Process we called the Corporate Process Triangle.  It was a tool I used to plot "critical issues" from the participants in order to have them form a "Focus Question" as the center piece for the coming LENS.  It was a tool.  It was used strictly as a way for the client to articulate a Focus Question, the weight of which was worthy of a very healthy investment on their part in terms of money, time off for senior staff, support staff and facilities.

The only time I ever saw it taught to a group of other people for their use was at a conference which you attended, Jim, in Washington DC and at which Clancy presented the SPT to the group.  We were gathered to design an open source computer model to anticipate social unrest throughout the world.  The thesis being that "war fighters" were the last people who ever want to go to war and that when a fast moving or slow moving natural disaster hit or when a fast moving or slow moving human disaster hit, social unrest soon followed and all too often, the place would soon be crawling with good intended volunteers, and civilians.  When that effort did not work in addressing the issue, the military would be called in.  (I believe Sandy is a good example of a relatively fast moving natural disaster and the process was repeated there too.)

The conference was sponsored by the Pentagon's Office of Advance Concepts and Designs and was attended by all service branches, all security and surveillance agencies, several computer modeling thank tanks and universities.  The SPT in that context didn't seem to gain much traction.  Other facilitators there were Randy Williams, Jean Watts, Dick West, Jim Wiegel, Clancy Mann and myself.  Forgive me if I missed someone.

The relatively new TV show "Person of Interest" is an example of the use of open source computer input.  The main gathering point for the data in our model was the US Navy facility in the Central Pacific.  It is operational today.