[Dialogue] The Grand Design

Jack Gilles icabombay at igc.org
Wed May 16 19:30:31 PDT 2012

John,

I appreciate your insights regarding the book.  I have no real interest in debating string theory or Theory M.  There are those whom I respect who have profound questions regarding them and certainly they struggle with any ability to confirm the theory in practice, instead relying on mathematics to "prove" their points.

It is easy for secular scientist to pooh pooh the intelligent design arguments as they are, for the most part, presented by those who are more literalist in their theology.  They tend to externalize God which is just another form of the two story universe.  But for me, the intelligent design is really about the entire universe as an intelligent system.  It is not a mindless result of random collisions.  I won't go into the depth that is required to present the alternative, but it is there.

The more interesting point is that mindless randomness means there is no basis for the emergence of values.  In deed, there is no meaning nor purpose for anything.  But our personal experience tells us something else.  And is not simply a way for us to live with meaninglessness of reality.  I won't expand on this because this is not the forum for a long discussion.  But we shouldn't allow the scientist to set all the rules for how to debate these questions.

Thanks for the review!

Jack