[Dialogue] code list

KarenBueno at aol.com KarenBueno at aol.com
Wed May 16 07:20:11 PDT 2012

Thank you.

Karen Bueno

In a message dated 5/15/2012 9:30:27 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
darrell66 at earthlink.net writes:

Here is the list that I  requested,    from Paula Philbrook.
    Darrell

THE 20 PRINCIPLES OF  CORPORATENESS
1. Corporateness  grows out of a mutual calling.
2. Covenant and discipline sustain  community.
3. Regular accountability of each member is  necessary.
4. Absolution is that without which corporateness  fails.
5. Each member has a gift to be developed and  offered.
6. Everyone is responsible for the whole  mission.
7. Worship of God by whatever name is the  most important act of the
community.
8. The community has one mission, not  many.
9.  Sacrificial commitment of time and resources is  crucial.
10. Care is provided  structurally.
11. The power is in the center of the  table.
12.  Decisions are made by consensus, not by majority  vote.
13. Equity, not equality, is the key to  fairness.
14. Effectiveness, not efficiency, is the hallmark  of service.
15. The first response is always  yes.
16. Indirection is preferred to direct  encounter.
17. Only criticize with an alternative model to  offer.
18. Only decide or act as a team of two or  more.
19. The external situation is never the real  problem.
20. The community has local  autonomy and global responsibility.

Dear Darrell and other colleagues,

In the spring and summer of 1977 I was part of a small task force
commissioned by JWM to "write up our Order Polity."  He fully intended to  present
this, once vetted by him, later that year, because when we presented  the
final document to him, two months before he died, his question was, "Can I
bring this to Rome?"

The task force was a wonderful mix -- David Morton, a brilliant writer  and
thinker outside the box; John Epps, a solid theologian;  Lyn  Matthews, a
profound and mature keeper of the memory for decades; Isobel  Bishop, one of
the first leaders of the movement in Australia, the continent  where our
work first began to manifest relevance; and me, Marilyn Crocker,  member of the
OE since 1968 -- and whose credentials others than I can  offer.

At that time we five were also functioning as the Global Panchayat, whose
universal roles were to "guard the comprehensive; defend the deeps; and
watch  the election."

The Polity Document we compiled, on behalf of the OE, was 112  pages.  The
statements you requested can be found on pages 54 - 62, and  are entitled
the 24 Classic Principles of the Order Ecumenical.

As this was one of the most focused, and internally vetted (thanks to  JWM)
 efforts to "document" our polity experiment, I am sorry you and  others
may not be able to access it on Golden Pathways.

I thank my beloved partners in that wondrous six month adventure, David,
John, Isobel -- and Lyn -- and of course, Joe.  When Bishop Jim, Joe's
brother, visited with us here in Maine six or so years ago, he asked me for a
copy of the "Polity Document."  I was happy I had an extra copy and could
pass it along. I imagine he, if anyone, could appreciate how both the UMC
polity, and the collaborative modes of so many global civilizations all
conspired to shape "who we were" in those wonderful days.

Grace and peace to you, Darrell, and thank you for asking your important
question.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn R. Crocker
123 Sanborn Road
West Newfield, ME  04095

On Tue, 15 May 2012 06:32:18 -0700 "darrell walker"