[Dialogue] code list

M George Walters m.george.walters at verizon.net
Wed May 16 05:54:46 PDT 2012

Please send me a copy as well

From: dialogue-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net [mailto:dialogue-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net] On Behalf Of jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:15 PM
To: Colleague Dialogue
Subject: Re: [Dialogue] code list

Thanks Marilyn.

That was indeed a great experience -- recording the polity we were living. Do you still have a copy of the document? Regretfully I do not.

Grace & Peace

John

At 07:42 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:

Dear Darrell and other colleagues,

In the spring and summer of 1977 I was part of a small task force commissioned by JWM to "write up our Order Polity."  He fully intended to present this, once vetted by him, later that year, because when we presented the final document to him, two months before he died, his question was, "Can I bring this to Rome?"

The task force was a wonderful mix -- David Morton, a brilliant writer and thinker outside the box; John Epps, a solid theologian;  Lyn Matthews, a profound and mature keeper of the memory for decades; Isobel Bishop, one of the first leaders of the movement in Australia, the continent where our work first began to manifest relevance; and me, Marilyn Crocker, member of the OE since 1968 -- and whose credentials others than I can offer.

At that time we five were also functioning as the Global Panchayat, whose universal roles were to "guard the comprehensive; defend the deeps; and watch the election."

The Polity Document we compiled, on behalf of the OE, was 112 pages.  The statements you requested can be found on pages 54 - 62, and are entitled the 24 Classic Principles of the Order Ecumenical.

As this was one of the most focused, and internally vetted (thanks to JWM)  efforts to "document" our polity experiment, I am sorry you and others may not be able to access it on Golden Pathways.

I thank my beloved partners in that wondrous six month adventure, David, John, Isobel -- and Lyn -- and of course, Joe.  When Bishop Jim, Joe's brother, visited with us here in Maine six or so years ago, he asked me for a copy of the "Polity Document."  I was happy I had an extra copy and could pass it along. I imagine he, if anyone, could appreciate how both the UMC polity, and the collaborative modes of so many global civilizations all conspired to shape "who we were" in those wonderful days.

Grace and peace to you, Darrell, and thank you for asking your important question.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn R. Crocker
123 Sanborn Road
West Newfield, ME 04095