[Dialogue] Dancing on the edge of finished

steve har stevehar11201 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:19:58 PDT 2012

After Mathews Knowing Doing Being

Knowing that longer-not yet zone
Doing the Rowing in Hokusai's boat in front of the great wave
Having ready-to-hand Being in that hyphenated space between this
world's ordinary -- the other world's extraordinary

Hearing things again from long-ago teachers In that dark space between my ears
Kaye Hayes says: "Welcome, welcome to hard times, why not stick-around
and build"?
Joe Pierce says: "Have any thing to declare, Steve"?

What about you? What do you hear on the edge of finished?
 What do you say?

--

Seth Godin says it is a dance?

Dancing on the edge of finished: [Seth Godin says]

Before, when your shift was done, you were finished.

When the inbox was empty, when the forms were processed, you could stop.

Now, of course, there's always one more tweet to make, post to write,
words with friends move to complete. There's one more bit of email,
one more lens you can construct, one more comment you can respond to.
If you want to, you can be never finished.

And that's the dance. Facing a sea of infinity, it's easy to despair,
sure that you will never reach dry land, never have the sense of
accomplishment of saying, "I'm done." At the same time, to be
finished, done, complete--this is a bit like being dead. The silence
and the feeling that maybe that's all.

For the marketer, the freelancer and the entrepreneur, the challenge
is to level set, to be comfortable with the undone, with the cycle of
never-ending. We were trained to finish our homework, our peas and our
chores. Today, we're never finished, and that's okay.

It's a dance, not an endless grind.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/05/dancing-on-the-edge-of-finished.html

--
Steve Harrington