[Dialogue] listening to 5 non-white, non-male mother-leaders declare

steve har stevehar11201 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 07:28:48 PDT 2012

Lucy Hurston
Ruby Dee
Alice Walker
Sonia Walker
Zora Neale Hurston
Their Eyes Were Watching God is 75 years old.

Five black women making declarations
Mother-leaders all
Talking together, speaking freedom into Existence for our time,
Speaking stories into Existence for our time,
Moms granting being for our time
Moms giving blood and birth to the earth...says Sonia Sanchez
And taking a risk to speak their experience for others

Reminds me of Kaye Hayes 1972  Freedom Lecture which Walt E just
digitized for the new Archives and Kaze Gadway whom Mike May just put
on TV

In the 21 C the Freedom Lecture seems to go public and declare in this way
Exposed, Disciplined, Lucid, Sensitive... and on a podcast or video clip

Fabulous story-making,  grist for a new  ICA spoken-word leadership
style of story-makers for the  future 50 ICA years, for the 20
somethings and 30 somethings not old white guys.

Grist for those who can rise to the challenge that Brian Stanfield
recounts in his  book "the Courage to Lead" when the Joe Pierce is
asked in the Lusaka Airport: Anything to declare, Mr Pierce?

Know how to speak into the microphone with your own words?
Got anything to declare these days?
These black women-mothers definitely know how to risk and have
something to declare

Where to watch and listen; about an hour
http://www.booktv.org/Program/13343/Panel+discussion+of+Zora+Neale+Hurstons+quotTheir+Eyes+Were+Watching+Godquot.aspx

I'm interested in learning how to speak declarations like Joe Pierce
did in the 20th C but this for a 21st C global culture especially for
the young ones, the children and their children.

I'm interested in practicing my spoken word digital story-making
skills to declare freedom into existence in this century, looking for
a digital story-making workshop. Seems like an essential skill for the
ICA-USA 50 year future to me. I just might have something to pay
forward.

How about you?

Happy Mothers Day,

--