[Dialogue] On another topic, but not really . . .

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 13:23:30 PDT 2012

Hi Jann,

The Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream Symposium originated in San Francisco as a result of a partnership with the Pachamama Alliance's work with the Achua Indians in Equador to protect their land, culture, and way of living--threatened by extractive industries.  Their call was not to have people come to Equador but to have the people where such corporations are based be awakened to what is going on--the goingonness not only negatively affecting the Achuas but also the global community.  The stated purpose of the symposium is "to awaken people to create an environmentally sustainable, spiritual fulfilled, socially just human presence on the planet."  The symposium is led by volunteer, trained facilitators from all walks of life.  The content weaves together films clips, presentations, group discussion, individual reflection and other exercises as it focuses on four questions relative to the three previously stated purpose arenas:  Where Are We?  How Did We Get Here?  What's Possible Now?  How Do We Get There?  Some versions of the ATD include the New Story with dvd clips from Brian Swimme, Mary Evelyn Tucker, Thomas Berry, and Miriam McGillis.

It pulls together all the current issues in a very impacting, moving way and also calls people into action to do their Great Work individually and corporately.  The symposium has been presented across the country in many formats and time designs:  morning, all day, multiple evenings, evening living room gathering, retreat, or built into another event.  It's best to allow for 3 1/2-4 hours, but can be done in a shorter time or longer time with more exercises and reflection.

Janice Ulangca used the ATD Symposium in the Binghamton Area as the 1st of the 50 ICA anniversary events.  After hosting a number of dvd/discussion events in our community related to ecology, the ATD Symposium is a springboard to our Transitions Initiative in our area.  Our first follow-up meeting is tonight.

For more information about and free downloads on all the materials go to: www.awakeningthedreamer.org.

If you need additional info, please let me know.

Ellie Stock
elliestock at aol.com
(314) 521-8418