[Dialogue] Undocumented immigrants

KarenBueno at aol.com KarenBueno at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 15:04:34 PDT 2012

What are you all thinking about undocumented  immigrants these days?  I
have been given the opportunity to lead 15  minutes of a workshop on
immigration for some 500 lay people of Rocky  Mountain United Methodist Annual
Conference in Denver next week.  Many will  be those in the ranks of "just send 'em
all back" persuasion.  Any  pertinent points I should be sure to speak
about?

Karen Bueno

Here's a new item:

June 5, 2012 - Press release
Undocumented Youth Risk Arrest in Denver to Demand  Executive Order at
Obama Office

'Coming out' action in  Denver

DENVER – Undocumented immigrant youth walking  from San Francisco to
Washington, D.C. will protest outside of the Obama  campaign office today on 9th
Avenue. They will ask that his administration stop  the deportations of DREAM
Act-eligible youth by signing an executive  order.

“With Deportations on the rise and Secure Communities recently  implemented
in the state of Colorado, We cannot just sit back and wait!” said  Veronica
Gomez, an undocumented student with Campaign for an American Dream  (CAD),
which is walking across the country to raise awareness about immigrant
rights. “The immigrant community in Colorado needs to know that we have a voice
in this country, that we are not criminals, and we deserve a pathway to
legalization.”

CAD, along with the group Colorado, Organize, Resist,  Escalate (COORE)
will deliver a letter to the Obama Campaign office followed by  a “Coming out
of the Shadows” rally where undocumented immigrants will  publicly declare
their status.

“If they want the Latino vote in Colorado,  they must show the community
what they are doing for us. We are asking them to  stop the deportation of all
DREAM eligible youth!” said Javier Hernandez, an  undocumented immigrant
living in Colorado and member of COORE.

Despite  the memo authored by Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director
John Morton  explaining that ICE is supposed to focus its resources on
deporting criminals,  DREAM-eligible youth are being put in deportation
proceedings nationwide. We  need the strength of an executive order to stop our
deportations.

###

CAD’s mission is to walk across the nation from San Francisco  to D.C
creating dialogue around the passage of the DREAM Act and fixing our  broken
immigration system with the values of equality, unity, and diversity. CAD
believe’s all people are equal, all those who are oppressed should be united,
and our daily lives and the Campaign itself highlight diversity.
http://thedreamwalk.org