[Dialogue] Climate Change info

Jim Baumbach wtw0bl at new.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 06:08:42 PDT 2012

Thanks George for this excellent article.  We are not people of the
future so much as we are people who benefit from the status quo.  We are
very reluctant to do any truly meaningful change to our life style
except if it leads to more comfort, more wealth, more pleasure, etc.
Take for example the terrible event this last week in Aurora, CO.  This
event is only 20 miles away from the tragedy of Columbine High School
that occurred in 1999.  Today when I go to church I expect to hear
numerous prayers said on behalf of the families and friends in Aurora.
And I also sympathize with their tragic losses.  But here's the problem
I have with these prayers, they obviously show solidarity with the pain
being suffered but as Jesus said, "let the dead bury the dead."  By that
I mean, these unfortunate people have already suffered from our
collective lack of self-control, what I would like to hear from the
pulpit are prayers for the future victims of these awful happenings.  As
evidenced from Gaby Gifford's experience where an outpouring of national
sympathy led to nothing in the way of inhibiting such events, let's just
keep our gun obsession in full force but now recognize that we need to
be praying for those who will be slaughtered in the future.  Cynical?
Yes, but a more realistic understanding of who we are and what our
future has in store for us.  Just as we are loathe to change our
life-styles in order to slow down the inevitable global warming, we
can't seem to get over the gigantic impact of gun lovers and the NRA
even on a local scale.

Is this all the human species has to show for its brief existence in the
geological time frame?

Jim Baumbach