[Dialogue] The right question, continued

Ken Fisher hkf232 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:21:08 PDT 2012

Dear Randy,

We need to get together for another long talk.

I want to comment on your recent comments.  See CAPS below.

Gene

RANDY:  Regarding contradiction B2, I believe there is at least one partial alternative vision emerging as articulated by Jeremy Rifkin in The Third Industrial Revolution.  In a nutshell, it involves a kind of energy/ecological democracy.  Rifkin names 5 sources of alternative energy; solar, wind, hydro, bio-mass and geo-thermal.  Every home, factory and office building has proximity to at least one of those and can therefore produce energy for its own use and to spare at its own locale.  The surplus can be stored using hydrogen technology and distributed via an energy network modeled after the internet.

GENE:  YES, I AGREE THAT THIS IS PART OF THE ALTERNATIVE VISION, A THIRD INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION BEGINNING WITH ENERGY. HYDROGEN IS CLEARLY VERY IMPORTANT.  ACCORDING TO DAVID SANBORN SCOTT, HYDROGEN AND ELECTRICTY CAN BE AND NEED TO  BECOME THE TWO MAIN MEANS (CURRENCIES) FOR DELIVERING ENERGY TO THE USER.

RANDY: If you're familiar with Rifkin's work, he also insists that the "third industrial revolution" is not the final destination, but rather a stepping stone on the way to an "empathic (serving) civilization."

GENE: YES, I READ PART OF RIFKIN'S  EMPATHY BOOK.  JOYCE READ IT ALL AND REVIEWED IT IN OUR JOURNAL.  IT MAY BE WE WILL NEED AN EMPHATIC POST-CIVILIZATION TO EXTRICATE OURSELVES FROM INDUSTRIAL CIVILIZATION AND COMPLETE THE NEXT INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION.

RANDY: Just two points from what John has said that I would highlight or expound on.  One is that complexity need not be chaotic or exasperating.  It can be seen as an opportunity borne of abundance.  Certainly John does not say otherwise.

GENE: YES, I THINK COMPLEXITY NEED NOT BE EXASPERATING.  AND THE PLANET SURELY HAS ABUNDANCE FOR FOUR OR FIVE BILLION PEOPLE.  THAT ABUNDANCE IS CURRENTLY GOING TO A FEW PEOPLE.  THE EQUITY REVOLUTION BEING VOICED BY THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT IS, I BELIEVE THE PRIOR ISSUE TO FINDING THE NEW ABUNDANCE.

RANDY: Second, it would be interesting if it were possible to map out all the interdependent pieces and entities within our universe and somehow depict the interactions and their influence and effects.  That would perhaps help answer the question of who is the "we" that must learn to be together.

GENE: THE "WE," AS I SEE IT, IS WHAT WE USED TO CALL THE TRANSESTABLISHMENT AS THE INTEGRATING FORCE THAT GIVES GUIDANCE TO PART OF THE PROESTABLISHMENT AND PART OF THE DISESTABLISHMENT.  I SPELL THIS OUT IN DETAIL IN CHAPTER 22 OF THE ROAD FROM EMPIRE TO ECO-DEMOCRACY.  DAVID KORTEN CITED THIS AS ONE THE GREAT CHAPTERS OF THAT BOOK.