[Dialogue] Can Christianity, Religion Be Saved? By Whom in the Next Generation?

Jann Barr jannbarr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:33:33 PDT 2012

I don't often feel moved to get into the dialogue but the question "do we
need religion and what for?"  called me to respond.

There is so much that anyone of us, individually and collectively, do not
know or understand. What we call religion tries to give us a way to related
to the unknowable. It, also, tries to give us guidelines and/or standards
that makes our attempts of relating to other 'beings' more just and
'humain '.

It seems to me at any given moment and circumstance anyone of us could
become a murderer, robber, or what have you. I believe that as a collective
group we have have become better. "An eye for an eye" seems barbaric to us
now but was a great advance of human behavior when it was invented.
Religion gives a vechicle with which to invent new standards. It gives us
some stability during times of change.

 Indeed, we are in times of unpresidented change. I do not begin to
understand what my great grandchildren understand about the world they are
learning in. I know that I have great admiration for my grandchildren for
the love and effort they put every day into raising these precious souls.

As an 83 year old great grandmother I hold them in the Light everday. I
have faith that they like my generation will be loving and pursuvere in
creating the "red line" even though they may never know my poetry. As a
Quaker I think I have found my place to aide and participate in
discovery of new forms of 'religion'.

Peace and grace to all,
Jann Barr

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM, <facilitationfla at aol.com> wrote: