[Dialogue] The right question, continued

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Tue Jul 17 15:42:59 PDT 2012

Here's another take on the "right" question for our time:

The function of technology is to expand human
potential.  Current research and inventions seem
to offer undreamed of possibilities. Virtual
meetings, satellite radio, microwave meals,
robotic surgery, online shopping with digital
assistants, self-driving automobiles,
self-diagnosing body parts, space travel – even
avatar immortality – are all either currently
available or in pilot stages. The interior crisis
occasioned by all this possibility is bewildering
potential. We face a paralyzing complexity of
possibility. Clearly the old structures are past
their usefulness as we saw in the past decade.
Now we are bewildered by pure potential for
creating a new functioning civilization.
Technology is no longer a constraint: we can do
even more than we can imagine. Our imaginations,
however, seem constrained by established images
of systems and structures that no longer work. We
don’t know how to think in new categories, or
even what those categories might be. People often
speak of this as a digital generation gap, and to
be sure there is one. But I suspect even the
brightest young geeks haven’t set themselves to
thinking of new ways to operate as a global
society. Pure potential is an abyss – a gap with
no place to stand, no security, and no certainty.
That’s the situation in which we find ourselves.

Our existential question is “How can we operate?”
that is, “How can we be in this world together?”
and even the “we” is not clear. At one time it
could refer to the family or our network of
friends or colleagues or the community or the
state or party or nation or race or even in our
more generous moments, humanity as an inclusive
whole. Now even that seems inadequate. The
environmentalists have expanded our horizons. All
flora and fauna now seem to have a claim on us.
Even the mineral resources which we’ve extracted
and manipulated with abandon seem to be crying
for attention. Neither our economic, political
nor cultural systems are equipped to address those cries.

John Epps