[Dialogue] Being Bold

Nancy Lanphear nancy at songaia.com
Sun Jul 1 16:06:06 PDT 2012

Dear Steve,

I don't know that we have actually met in person.  However, asking me to
ground my comments seems like a good way to get real.  You will notice that
taking the journey with Fred to his death and beyond has released all kinds
of wonderful new experiences for me, ones that touch me deeply ... out of
them have come my poetry and stories about life.

One of the joys ( and increases the longer I live) in my life has been to
connect with others in a deep way, sharing values and dreams, and asking
the questions that allow us each to grow and stretch.  Below is a paragraph
from a letter I wrote to my husband Fred as he was dying with ALS.  It
describes mostly the JOY part for me in caring for Fred and being a
participant in his journey.  The GLOBAL NEED is that our culture fragments
life, particularly life and death rather than experiencing the cyclic
reality of the two.  Our family decision was to invite our community (and
ourselves) to WALK WITH US as Fred journeyed toward and through his death.

"I can imagine caring for you, until Death do us Part – I only worry about
not knowing how to do that with the necessary strength and the care that I
feel for you.  I ask that you help me know what you need as your life
continues.  This part of our journey together is a discovery of a totally
new kind of love – and the grand opportunity to discover letting go, a new
level of mindfulness, and many other qualities of a life of spirit.  I am
grateful for having lived these many years with you."

Our community did share in this journey, below is the link to the
experience of one friend, Brian.

<http://www.elderfred.wordpress.com>
http://elderfred.wordpress.com/on-the-passing-of-a-friend-and-neighbor/

In community,