[Dialogue] A story with a corporate ending

Jim & OliveAnn Slotta slottaglobalnews at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 10:12:01 PDT 2012

Hello, John,

This is, I feel, a tribute to your blog and to our movement's
corporateness.

A few days ago, a close second cousin of mine (our grandpas were
brothers) responded to my email telling of our fall travel plans.
Georgeann has come, over the last few years, to love my haikus, for
some reason. She shared a sad bit of news with me, and then made a
strange request that I decided not to ignore. Here's her sad news:

=====
We have a little bad news.  Our older brother Michael, my mom and
dad's firstborn, has recently been diagnosed with inoperable cancer.
It is everywhere.  He has 2 tumors in the chest, one on the lung, one
in his groin and a huge sore on his face.  He can not weigh more than
70 or 80 pounds.  He has refused treatment until last Monday when
little sister, Georgeann (me) could not stand it any longer and
ventured to New Castle PA where he lives and convinced him to be
admitted to the hospital.  He must not have much time because the
doctors say treatment is not an option, a feeding tube is not an
option, etc.  It is very sad. I think he has just given up.  I felt so
much better when I got a priest to come and give him last rites.
After all, he was born and raised Catholic, regardless of the many sad
turns his life has taken.  It is a much longer story but I don't want
to burden you with too much sadness.  Please keep him in your
prayers.  He is 74, same age as Clark and my husband, Jerry, but looks
90.  What little time he has, I hope God will spare him much suffering.

Thanks for listening.  I recently heard a song that says "funny when
you're gone how people start listening. . . "  How true.

Best regards, Georgeann
(You KNOW I need a haiku)

Here's where corporateness enters front stage.

So taking Georgeann's comment seriously, my thoughts somehow turned to
your blog as a possible source of solace. I recalled the July 4 blog
based on a 7/1 email exchange between (Jack and Dorothea):

=====
Dorothea: I like Nancy’s phrase “the cyclic reality of the two” (life
and death)…. If life is good, then death must be, also.*

Jack: Dorothea, I find it helpful to see the cycle as “birth and
death” and life as the constant which takes form…. So we have two
cycles, birth and death, form and [formlessness].*

Nez: Fine poetry. Finally, everyone has poetry for the journey, but is
it profound poetry, that motivates?

Namaste.

* e-mail dialog, 7/1/12
=====