[Dialogue] Witness

John Patterson jpatterson at abbeynorth.ca
Tue Dec 11 04:20:59 PST 2012

Richard:

A great word.  Many thanks.

When can you come to visit?

John

From: dialogue-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net
[mailto:dialogue-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net] On Behalf Of Richard Alton
Sent: December-10-12 5:02 PM
To: earthrise earthrise; Order Ecumenical; dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Subject: [Dialogue] Witness

Burning Man

Celebrating my 71st birthday this December. You would think after all these
years I would have learned a few things and, more important, be a lot wiser.
Not sure. I guess one thing I have learned is that there is a lot of wisdom
out there in this great old world. And to act on this insight I try to
collect wisdom and jot them down in my yearly calendar. I am not sure it
makes me wise.

One example is my daughters going to Burning Man (gathering of old and new
hippies as one friend explained to me to smoke a lot of pot). Well my
daughters Christina and Kay had not told me about this last part so I
immediately went and googled Burning Man. And upped popped the Burning Man
principles: There is no default world; Expect more from strangers; Form your
own camp; Be part of the generosity economy and Embrace impermanence. I
wrote Christina- the older daughter- what is this all about? She says, "you
know this is like what we learned with ICA, you know the other world" Now
that caught my attention.

The one principle I was most fascinated with was the one about 'Expect more
from strangers". It seems Burning Man believes that people are scarred of
other people, and it is their job not to be scarred. They also recommend "go
in for a hug"- that seems a little too scary for me. Most people it appears
are trying to project their appearance of normalcy instead of celebrating
their wonderful weirdness. The key seems to be able to say "yes" to the
strangeness of strangers. Your job appears to be to expect people to be
interesting.  Also you have a right to approach any random person and have
an interesting interaction.

So I now have these 5 principals in my calendar book. I usually try to read
through these wisdom notes regularly and try to be mindful of them through
the day. 'Expecting more from strangers" went with me to the ICA Nepal
Conference. The second day there I tried to walk from the ICA Nepal office
back to my Hotel. A course, I got lost. I had a map but it did not seem very
helpful. And then I noticed a man walking near me who also had his map out
with a great big backpack like he had been trekking. Finally, I walked over
to him and asked, "have you found where we are?. Nope, but I think I am
close" We finally figured out where we were with the help of a policeman and
we started walking together. Where are you from?: Egypt. What do you do?: I
am the Egyptian consular at the Egyptian Embassy in New Delhi and come
regularly to Nepal to trek. He asked me some questions and I told him about
our El Bayad work and that I had coached baseball in Maadi (suburbs of
Cairo). And then I asked him about the new government in Egypt. He spent
about 15 minutes trying to explain the situation in Egypt and what he
thought the future looked like. I was just startled that this just totally
out of the blue interaction had produced such an amazing interaction.

And then there was the actual Nepal Conference. What a way to just maximize
such weird connections?  And is not that finally what community is all
about? I guess that is what Burning Man means by Form your camp. Burning
Man's philosophy seems to suggest that these camps are about making an
impact together. They are not just for hanging out together, but camps are
where people are about something that contributes to the larger
community..this is what gives camps meaning. These camps seem to leads us to
the generosity economy; this has to do with someone who always gives to
others as a way of life. Burning Man sees the transformative feature of
their faith is the 'gifting' economy. Notice how it makes your life better
to give. In fact, giving away can become a way of life for you and your
people.

The last principle is embracing impermanence which is really up in your face
at 71 years old.  I am going to put that one in my 2013 monthly planner for
my brood screen for the year. I know I have to embrace it. I am sure it will
embrace me.

Bet you that these principles came from smoking too much pot. Probably, the
same pot the Other World came from.

Dick Alton, just back from hanging out with Bill McKibben and 350.org
working to divest my oil stocks.

Richard H.T. Alton 166 N. Humphrey Ave, Apt, 1N Oak Park, IL 60302
T:1.773.344.7172 richard.alton at gmail.com Don't let the fear of striking out
hold you back Babe Ruth