[Dialogue] A poem, thanks to Joan Seacord

Paula Philbrook paula.philbrook at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:27:33 PST 2012

Happy Birthday!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Sarah H. Buss <shbuss at icloud.com> wrote:

> How timely, Jim. Today is my 75th, whether I believe it or not!
> Sarah
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 3, 2012, at 1:42 PM, James Wiegel <jfwiegel at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Went through some old papers the other night.  Ran across some research on
> Ageism that Joan Seacord did for the Women's Organization for Equality in
> Brussels.  Joan was 66 back then.  Found this poem:
>
> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THOSE OF US
>
> I've awakened to find
> that somehow I've slipped
> into the cloak of the 8th Decade
> and behold, it seems to fit!
>
> Still, I struggle
> and stretch my arms
> and reach to check the hem
> The seams neither bind nor rip.
>
> I find I am warmed
> by all the threads of this cloth,
> The woof and the warp purposely woven
> To my surprise, it is comfortable.
>
> It can be worn anywhere
> It matters not the occasion
> Whether it is formal or fantasy
> I am free, at least, of SELF-consciousness
>
> So unique a garment
> that it is unimportant
> that it has become wrinkled and faded
> by smiles, and tears and time
>
> All dressed up, laughing aloud
> With myself enjoying the music.
>
> Roberta Harper Roberts
> Broomstick, Nov-Dec 1982
>

> Jim Wiegel
>
> "Life has got a habit of not standing hitched.  You got to ride it like
> you find it..  You got to change with it."  Woody Guthrie
>

> 401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401
> +1 623-363-3277 skype: jfredwiegel
> jfwiegel at yahoo.com www.partnersinparticipation.com
>
> Upcoming public course opportunities:
> ToP Facilitation Methods Coming in February. Ask about an inhouse course
> ToP Strategic Planning, Oct 9-10, 2012
> The AZ Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday of every month
> Facilitation Mastery : Our Mastering the Technology of Participation
> program is available in Phoenix in 2012-3. Program begins on Nov 14-16,
> 2012
> See short video http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=55 and
> website for further details.

Paula

*Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough,
and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to
clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger
into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today,
and creates a vision for tomorrow*.
*Melody* Beattie