[Dialogue] more on guns

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Mon Dec 17 13:45:55 PST 2012

Colleagues

I'd like to add one more note to this lively dialogue (which I hope
continues, and perhaps even begins to focus).

It's obviously the case that a change of heart is required in this
situation. The question becomes how to make that happen, and I'm
reminded of Martin Luther Kings's response to us WASPS who were
opposing desegregation because "we need to have hearts change to
support integration." To paraphrase him, "Laws can't make you love
me, but they may prevent you from killing me." Strict gun control may
be that kind of law. And, IMHO, whatever will prevent this sort of
mass murder is worth doing. Also I've noticed that hearts are
remarkably adaptable to their external situation.

In terms of luring the tiger, the question now that she's out of her
lair (sorry Cynthia), what do we do: well perhaps something initial
like forbidding the sale of assault weapons and mass magazines. That
might be able to get some support from tigers. After all, we endure
considerable inconvenience to insure safety on airplanes,, so perhaps
the inconvenience of forbidding access to these instruments of mass
destruction might be a possible first step.

I don't believe we'll be able to change tigers into lambs, but maybe
we can help de-fang them!

John