[Dialogue] From The Week: Hearing the voice of God

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 12:37:48 PDT 2012

Thank you, Del.

I'm struggling to learn to communicate from the heart level rather than
head. It's difficult and I often don't succeed, but it's delicious when the
magic works.

>From my 75-year-old brain cloud, I said "Wes" in my e-mail. Was thinking of
 Rev. Bill. Where do those things come from?

Blessings,
Jann

In a message dated 8/20/2012 11:57:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
delhmor at wamail.net writes:

I really  appreciated this Jann.  One of the best experiences a few years
ago was  visiting the church Eileen and George have been active in, in which
the people  are from all walks of life and all types of theological
backgrounds, and using  an amazing variety of vocabulary to describe their
experiences.  The  common denominators were joy within themselves, acceptance of one
another and  their great diversity, and a care for their community.  I’m
sure there  were other “denominators”, but these were the most evident to a
one-time  visitor and observer.  Wouldn’t it be nice to “view” this, and
participate in it, in most any gathering.
Frankly, I was  rather surprised at the quick, dogmatic responses and
judgment elicited by  this latest writing from The Week (which is a great mag, if
you haven’t  ever read it). Granted, it wasn’t a ton of correspondence,
but it came to me  as quite “old-fashioned”. Responses that seem to come
before getting more  information or even asking a simple question or two before
making such  judgments, seem, to me, to be as close-minded as the same
persons probably  accuse those of more conservative religious views.  What
happened to the  days when we felt strongly that you should not critique a writer
until you  have read through thoroughly and tried to be in their shoes as
that  writer?  I guess some of us have forgotten this. I’ve been learning in
these past years to at least attempt to listen for what a person is trying
to  say to me, rather than getting blocked by the words used or the
philosophy out  of which one speaks.  Is there a new perspective?  Is there a
different slant being taken on an old perspective? Is there an attempt to help
the reader understand where someone else is coming from, or why they have
chosen the route they have taken? etc. etc.???  Personally, I rather
appreciate trying to understand just why someone might think the way they do  or act
they way they act.  Maybe it’s just that I’m so much older than  when I
thought I knew everything!
Del