[Dialogue] From The Week: Hearing the voice of God

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 17:30:33 PDT 2012

Thank you, Jim. What a rich report. I'd like to respond with a witness, or
sorts.

After Fred died (1/31/08), I decided to simplify my life by going to church
 with my mother. It was not easy to return to the fundamentalist Church of
Christ  that I grew up in, but it was easier than trying to juggle dropping
her off,  going to the Presbyterian church where I was a member, than
picking her  up.

I loved the a cappella singing of gospel hymns, participating in communion
weekly and the very sweet people in the congregation. I couldn't stand  the
theology, but was able to tune out the sermon and either meditate or read
scripture during that time. I was listed as a visitor in the bulletin every
week  for at least 3 years.

After Mother died in March, a friend and fellow D.Min. from  University of
Creation Spirituality, came for Mother's memorial service,  which was on a
Sunday afternoon. Mia, my friend, and I went to worship that  morning at the
church of Christ. (We were borrowing chairs for the service  at Mother's
apartment building later.) I was a little apprehensive. Mia  grew up in a
wealthy Episcopalian family in Philadelphia, had never been to a  fundamentalist
church. This would be very strange for her.

After worship, she turned to me, her face glowing and said, "The energy
here was so sweet that I had a major breakthrough on an issue I've been
struggling with internally."

That wouldn't have happened if she'd pre-judged it all a  "crock" because
it wasn't post-modern theology. Open your heart just a little,  Wes. Go to
your own experience of deep spirituality, not some chart from 40  years ago,
if you want to understand why the Vineyard Christian Fellowship and  other
congregations like it are bursting at the seams.

My two cents:)

Grace and peace,
Jann McGuire

In a message dated 8/19/2012 7:59:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,